Virtual Board Briefs
Summary of the July 13, 2020 BOE meeting, held virtually
Board Briefs is a newsletter-style overview of the highlights of the Board of Education's discussion and action. You can find the meeting agenda online here, and look for minutes of the meeting to be posted after they are approved at the next BOE meeting (July 27, 2020).
D34 Board Meetings: Virtual for Now
During the community participation periods, the Board is in listening mode. Responses to questions or other follow-up information is provided to the community member directly and, when appropriate, to the community as a whole.
- Administrator Compensation
- Superintendent Contract
- Superintendent Contract Amendment
- Wesley Summer Program
- 2020-21 Calendar Updates
Fall Learning Plan
- Start school year in Remote + (with small-group, in-person relationship-building opportunities) and monitor local COVID-19 data to determine if a transition to Hybrid is possible, no sooner than 3 weeks after the start of school
- Start school year in Hybrid, acclimating students and staff to new health and safety procedures while still focusing on all learning standards*
- Monitor local COVID-19 data to determine if the year can begin with Adapted In Person*
* D34 will implement operational procedures, including encouraging distancing as much as possible
In all scenarios, District 34 will offer the option for parents to enroll their children in the Glenview Online Academy for Learning (GOAL). GOAL is a K-8 virtual school that provides students an opportunity to engage in full-time remote learning for the 2020-2021 school year. GOAL will offer:
- Open enrollment (by trimester) to all EC-8 students
- Full registration, attendance requirements and all public education accountability structures
- Utilization of best-practice online learning including, asynchronous, synchronous and off-line experiences
- A commitment to 5 hours of learning for grades 1-8 and 2½ for Kindergarten
- An environment that addresses staff, student and parent feedback from the spring 2020 E-learning model
- Facilitation of all student services, needs and academic requirements
- Implementation of a full complement of social-emotional learning, community building, parent outreach and all characteristics for a positive school culture
- FUN! School/grade virtual assemblies, virtual field trips, events and other such joyful times for families and children
- Opportunities to ensure all children thrive in the GOAL through the integration of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) practices
Given this opportunity for parents to have choice, and the ever-changing environment we are facing, the Board and administration determined that it would be necessary to get further parent input before finalizing a plan to start the 2020-2021 school year.
The Board will approve a plan at the July 27, 2020 meeting.
Meet the Board of Education
Glenview District 34 is governed by a seven-person Board of Education, elected by the community, that consists of the following individuals:
- Natalie Jachtorowycz (President)
- Jim Baumstark (Vice President)
- John Heggie
- Katie Jones
- Mike Korman
- Scott Nelson
- Diane Stefani
You can contact the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.