EdCamp Druid Hills
Friday, October 9
EdCamp's vision is create an international network of educators dedicated to participant-driven professional learning for themselves and others that accelerates student growth. Since the original EdCamp in 2010,there have been over 700 conferences around the world in 25 countries.
Watch this video from EdCamp Tulsa to learn more about what makes EdCamp an "unconference."
EdCamps seek a varied group (classroom teachers, instructional coaches, administrators) to be in the same room discussing their ideas and passions, creating a level playing field for discussion. Since the attendees drive the conference and the attendees also serve as presenters there is no hierarchy between presenters and attendees. Teachers can present in front of administrators and administrators can engage teachers in dialogue with both parties taking an active role in the discussion.
About EdCamp Druid Hills
- 7:45-8:15 Registration, Networking and Session Planning (Coffee & Bagels courtesy of Panera Bread and Bagel Palace)
- 8:15-8:30 Whole Group Kickoff
- 8:30-9:30 Session 1
- 9:45-10:45 Session 2
- 11:00-12:00 Session 3
- 12:00 Lunch (on your own)
- After lunch, you will follow your school's Staff Development Schedule
Here's a great video to understand the format of EdCamp.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I've heard about Druid Hills parking. We do ask that you carpool if possible, as parking is somewhat limited for a high school. With that said, we will be able to accommodate cars as necessary. We do ask that you not park at the Church, Westminster neighborhood, or at Emory (the neighborhood is serious about towing).
- Which schools are participating? Druid Hills High, DSA, Druid Hills Middle, Avondale, Briar Vista, DESA, Fernbank, Laurel Ridge, McLendon, and Robert Shaw.
- What about the DCSD Staff Development Schedule? The Druid Hills Cluster Principals have received permission to excuse EdCamp participants from DCSD programming for the day. With that said, please talk with your Principal with any questions.
- How were sessions chosen? Schools were asked to brainstorm different topics to be added to the agenda. With that said, you are welcome to add sessions to the agenda up until Thursday at 5pm.
- What is the format of the sessions? Unlike more traditional PD, the purpose of EdCamp is to engage in DIALOGUE between educators. You won't (likely) see a prepared PowerPoint. At the start of the session, you will select a facilitator to ensure lively conversation. With that said, the success of the session depends on the willingness of the participants to be engaged, open-minded, inquisitive, and willing to add to the richness of conversation. There facilitator is welcome to create a sign-in list in order to share websites/resources among participants.
- Will there be sessions for Counselors? Yes. There are sessions which speak to the interests of Counselors and Social Workers. With that said, anyone can attend any session.
- There are two sessions I would like to attend at the same time. What do I do? EdCamp enables you to vote with your feet. Therefore, you are able to enter and exit any session as necessary.
- Druid Hills High is a big school. How do I know where to go? Here is a campus map. With all the different sessions available, you may need to travel between buildings, depending on your session interests.