Term and Party
April 4th 1841 - March 4th 1845
Vice President and Opponents
No vice president or opponents. He was not elected into office but followed Harrison after he died.
America at this Time
- The West was growing
- Slavery was being questioned
- United States was becoming more nationalist
Key People of his Presidency
Daniel Webster - only member of his cabinet that did not resign.
Letita Christian Tyler - Tyler's first wife and the first First Lady to die while husband was in office.
Wealth can only be accumulated by the earnings of industry and the savings of frugality.
- Disagreed with the American System
- Did not want another National Bank
- Tariff Act of 1842.
- Ended the Seminole War
- Annexation of Texas
- Webster-Ashburton Treaty prevented a war with Britain over Maine/Canada border
- Every party disagreed with his ideas
- Vetoed several tariffs and Acts.