By: A'Myra Pamplin
What is Nursing ?
According to The American Nurses Association defines nursing as, “The protection, promotion, and optimization of health and abilities, prevention of illness and injury, alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response and advocacy in the care of individuals, families, communities and populations”
The duties for registered nurse, according to the Department Director are to deliver care to patients utilizing the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation and evolution. Effectively interact with patients, significant others, and other health team members while maintaining standards of professional nursing. Have great communicate skills and perform direct patient care.
Nurse Aides and Health Education
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Yale University
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing
- Chamberlain College of Nursing
- University of Virginia School of Nursing
Requirements to Be a Nurse
Educational Requirements to Become a Nurse
- LPN & LVN Training Programs
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing
Career Requirements to Become a Nurse
- License Examination for Nurses
- Advanced Practice Nurse Certification
Pay Scale For Nursing
This is a chart that describe the general pay scale for nursing breaking it down to hourly pay,overtime, bonus, and commission and also including the annual pay for a nursing.
Benefit To Being A Nursing
All full-time nurses receive the following benefits package:
- A health and prescription drug program that begins on the first day of employment.
- A wellness program offering free and reduced-cost exercise and healthy lifestyle classes and seminars.
- Sick time accrual of eight hours per month (to a maximum of 480 hours)
- Paid time off (four weeks in first full year)
- Retirement plan & Bereavement leave
- Short-term disability replacing 60 percent of pay after 30 days of employment
- Long-term disability replacing 60 percent of pay after six months up to age 65
- Life insurance (one times base annual pay) (Dental and vision plan)
- Comprehensive Professional Liability Insurance
- On-site day care & Jury duty pay
- Tuition reimbursement & On-site education programs
Testimonials Of Nurses
I chose nursing as a career because ever since I was a little girl that has been the career path for me to follow in my mom’s footsteps. I was very happy when I was hired in 1998 at Miami Children’s Hospital because this would allow me to use my knowledge and the skills I learned in school. I currently work in neurology and have taken care of many children with epilepsy. It brings me great joy to be able to see a patient walking and talking again and expressing thanks for the care received. I have seen many great changes at the hospital. A recent enhancement is the practice of care teams working together with patient families during rounds. MCH has prepared me to not only give excellent care to the families but also to be a voice for my unit.
-Raquel Harvey, RN
I love being nurse and working at MCH. My journey to become a nurse began when my son was diagnosed with leukemia at MCH. He was a frequent flyer and had nurses Michelle Burke, Nicole Lynkechow and Michelle Tai caring for him during the most difficult times of our lives. I watched in amazement as each nurse became a vital part of my son’s life, not only in carrying out orders and giving him and go the extra mile to make MCH a memorable place. treatments. but each also became a part of our family, always giving in every way possible. After my son’s death, I made to decision to become a nurse and will never regret my choice.
I began as a care assistant and have been an RN-BSN for the past four years and now have the opportunity to give back and be that caregiver who listens effectively and works efficiently to create a nurturing, comforting atmosphere for those I care for. During my time as a nurse I have to had the opportunity to be a part of a team of nurses who bring about change. In an effort to lessen the discharge times on my unit I accepted the challenge of becoming the admission/discharge RN. I have the pleasure of working with an amazing team of nurses who work together
-Dorcas Torres, RN
- "American Nurses Association." American Nurses Association. American Nurses Association, Inc. (ANA), n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://www.nursingworld.org/>.
- "Discover Nursing." DiscoverNursing.com. Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc, 10 Jan. 2014. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <https://www.discovernursing.com/>.
- Group, Gannett Healthcare. "Nursing Jobs, RN Jobs at Nurse.com." Nursing Jobs, RN Jobs at Nurse.com. OnCourse Learning Corporation, n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://www.nurse.com/jobs>.
- McElroy, Amy. "Career Resource Center." American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Yan Li, n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://www.aacn.nche.edu/students/career-resource-center>.
- "Organization for Associate Degree Nursing." Home Page. N.p., 2015. Web. 17 Apr. 2015. <http://www.oadn.org/>.
- "Registered Nurse (RN) Salary (United States) United States Home Change Country Don't See What You Are Looking For?Get A Free Custom Salary Report »." Registered Nurse (RN) Salary (United States). PayScale, Inc., n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Registered_Nurse_(RN)/Hourly_Rate>.
- "Registered Nurse: Salary." Registered Nurse Salary Information. U.S. News & World Report LP., 2015. Web. 17 Apr. 2015.
- "Search 12400+ Healthcare & Medical Jobs!" Healthcare Jobs & Medical Jobs. HEALTHeCAREERS Network, 1996. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://www.healthecareers.com/>.
- "Testimonials of Nurses." Testimonials of Nurses. Good Samaritan Hospital, n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://www.gshs.org/body.cfm?id=149>.
- "Associate Degree in Nursing (Associate's)." Associates Degree in Nursing. Virginia College, 1983-2015. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://www.vc.edu/associate-degrees/nursing-degree-training.cfm>.
- "Welcome To Remington College School of Nursing." College of Nursing, Orlando FL. Remington College, n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://www.remingtoncollege.edu/orlando-nursing-training-school/>.
- "Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program." Academics: Nursing: Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Stratford University, n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://www.stratford.edu/nursing-bs>.