Collier Elementary School
September 2022 Newsletter
Message From Principal Lisa Langford
Good attendance matters for school success, starting as early as pre-kindergarten and throughout elementary school. By middle and high school, poor attendance is a leading indicator of dropout. Developing the habit of attendance prepares students for success on the job and in life. Improving student attendance is an essential strategy for ensuring our students are on-track to learn and succeed. Nationwide, as many as one out of 10 students are chronically absent, meaning they miss 10 percent or more of school days, or nearly a month. The good news is everyone can make a difference in helping students and families understand that going to school every day and avoiding absences is important. Too often, we don’t realize how quickly absences add up: Missing just two days every month can cause a child to fall behind. Avoid unnecessary absences. Some absences are unavoidable, occasionally, children get sick and need to stay home. What is important is getting children to school every day, both online and in person. Thank you for partnering with us in supporting your child's education and making sure they are in attendance!
September 13 -PTA Eat Out Night Chipotle 4-8pm
September 14-16 -Parent Teacher Conferences Students dismissed at 11:25am
September 27 -Picture Day
September 29 -PTA Meeting 6pm in the Collier Library
September 30 -Coffee with Ms. Hehn Supporting Social Emotional Learning at home 7:45am
October 1 -PTA Family Workday 9am - 12pm
October 4 -PTA Eat Out Night eegee's 4-8pm
October 7 -Grading Day No School
October 10-14 -Fall Break No School
October 20 -PTA Meeting 6pm in the Collier Library
October 29 -Monster Mash PTA Fundraising Carnival 4-8pm
Make Reading a Part of Your Family Time!
Family time is important...Why not make reading part of this valuable time with your student. Here are some tips for integrating reading into our daily family activities:
- Read bedtime stories
- Play board games
- Visit your local library
- Read a recipe and cook
- Create a comfy reading space
Opening Minds Through The Arts (OMA)
We have been working hard in the OMA classroom! As a whole school, we started off the month learning about abstract art, creating abstract art, and choosing an art piece to hang in our classrooms for the month of September.
- Preschool will continue to focus on various themes such as numbers, animals, and body parts.
- Kindergarten is continuing to work on counting and cardinality through movement.
- First grade is finishing their movement project based on the book I Like Myself. Their next project will be musical and based on a poem.
- Second grade will use movement to reinforce place value and number sense.
- Third grade continues to utilize various art forms to paraphrase the main idea and key details of a written work.
- Fourth and fifth grade is finishing their class song and will move on to creating a school song.
Character Strong Social Emotional Learning Curriculum
Collier PTA News
Hello from the PTA,
Did you know?
- The Book Fair was a great success! Thanks to all who supported the
- event. The PTA purchased two books for each classroom from the teacher wish lists with the proceeds.
- Monster Mash planning is underway, and we need your help to make our fall festive fundraiser a success! Look for information coming home soon.
Save the Date
- Eat Out Night at Chipotle on Tuesday 9/13. Show the flyer.
- Family Workday on 10/1.
Health Office News
Thank you for continuing to keep your student(s) home when sick. Please remember that after illness, the district is still requiring a negative COVID test or doctor's note for return to campus. If your student tests positive for COVID-19, notify us immediately. We have seen several different types of illness, and it's important that we help each other stop the spread.
Also, if your child is not up-to-date on all immunizations (DTaP, Polio, Hepatitis B, MMR, Varicella) please schedule an appointment and provide us with the updated immunization record. If you need help locating a clinic, call the Collier health office. Thank you, and stay healthy!