The Weekly Buzz
A Weekly Newsletter from Corner Middle School
Volume 3, Number 17: October 17, 2021
CMS Student Assessment Folder Coming Home on Monday, October 18th
- 5th Grade - Yellow Folders
- 6th Grade - Green Folders
- 7th Grade - Gray Folders
- 8th Grade - Pink Folders
Each folder will contain one or more of the following pieces of information about the student's academic progress:
- First Quarter CMS Report Card (Delayed by district from October 14th)
- Alabama Comprehensive Assessment Program (ACAP) Home Report for State Assessment Given in the Spring of 2021 / Will Be Either the Summative or Alternate Home Report
- iReady Family Report for Student for Math and Reading Given in Fall 2021 (Two Pages)
- 211 Student and Family Assistance Information Card
It is important to remember that your student's report card is for the FIRST QUARTER only. Should you have any questions about your student's grades, please feel free to contact his/her teachers by email or by calling the school at 205-379-3230. You can still check your student's grades daily by logging into the Power School Parent Portal. It is important to monitor your student's progress regularly as he/she progresses through each quarter of the school year.
If your student is missing an ACAP report, it is because . . .
- The student's family opted out of the spring test due to COVID-19 circumstances.
- The student is a transfer into Corner Middle School from another Alabama school and that school has not forwarded test results to CMS.
- The student is a transfer into Corner Middle School from outside of the state of Alabama and did not take the ACAP in the spring of 2021.
If your student is missing an iReady report, it is because . . .
- Your student did not take iReady as a result of a recent transfer into CMS, a home school situation, or some other reason.
- Your student has not finished his / her iReady fall assessment due to illness or some other unforseen circumstance.
If your child doesn't bring home this folder and was not absent from school, ask him/her where it is. They will all be distributed. If your student is absent from school, please have him/her come to the office to get the folder upon return to school and bring it to you as soon as possible.
Please look for additional information that will come home this week that help explains the information covered in these reports.
Calendar for the Week of October 18, 2021 - October 24, 2021
Monday, October 18, 2021
- Report Card / Student Assessment Folders Go Home
- Pep Rally 2:30
- 5th and 6th Grade Science Olympiad Practice
- 5th and 6th Grade Math Team Practice
- Robotics Practice (Falcons and DIH Team)
- CMS Girls Basketball Practice
- 5th Grade Newcomb at Pleasant Grove High School 3:30
- Moody Middle School vs CMS Football 5:30
- Moody at JV Football (at CMS) 7:00
Tuesday, October 19, 2021
- Power School WebEx Training 2:00
- Robotics Practice (C4 and Warbots)
- Girls Basketball, Cheerleading, and Boys Basketball Practice at CMS
- CHS XC at Mortimer Jordan High School 4:00
Wednesday, October 20, 2021
- Unity Day to Prevent Bullying
- First Priority Meeting in Library 7:25
- Jacket Period Bell Schedule - Advisories Meet (PATH Advisory Lesson #3)
- CHS Varsity Volleyball at Regionals in Huntsville
- Principals Meeting with Dr. Gonsoulin at COB 8:30
- CMS Debate Practice 3:00
- Boys and Girls Basketball and Cheerleading Practice at CMS
Thursday, October 21, 2021
- Lead Mentor Institute
- Power School Webex Training 10:00
- Girls Basketball, and Cheerleading Practice at CMS 3:00
- CMS 7th Grade Basketball at West Point Tournament
Friday, October 22, 2021
- Boys and Girls Basketball Practice at CMS
- Cheerleading Practice at CHS
- HS 101 with 8th Grade in the ELA Classroom
- CMS Yearbook Staff Meeting in Library 2:00
- Center Point at CHS Football 7:00
Saturday, October 23, 2021
- Relax, Be Productive at Home, and Enjoy College Football
- Corner Community Park Games
- Jefferson County Middle School Cheerleading Competition at Corner High School 8:00
- CMS 7th Grade Basketball at West Point Tournament 10:00
Sunday, October 24, 2021
- Enjoy Your Day Worshiping, Relaxing, and/or Having Fun with Family and Friends!
Looking Ahead to Important School Dates
October 25-28, 2021 Red Ribbon Week at CMS
October 26, 2021 7th and 8th Grade Data Meetings
October 27, 2021 5th and 6th Grade Data Meetings
October 28, 2021 Bagley Fall Festival at CMS
October 29, 2021 Teacher Work Day
October 29, 2021 A+ College Ready Math Training (4th Quarter)
October 29, 2021 District CILT Meeting #3 8:30-3:30
November 4, 2021 Corner Middle School Career Fair
November 10-12, 2021 Peer Helper's Conference
November 11, 2021 Veteran's Day - Jefcoed Schools Closed
November 12, 2021 Jefcoed e-Learning Day
November 22-26, 2021 Fall Break - Jefcoed Schools Closed
Corner Middle School
Corner Middle School is committed to empowering our students as they build a foundation for college, career, and community success in a nurturing environment.
Our vision at Corner Middle School is to ensure our students are academically, emotionally, and socially prepared for challenges they may encounter in the next phases of their lives.
Corner Middle School believes we will accomplish our Mission and Vision in serving our community of learners by:
- Loving, encouraging, and inspiring our students and each other in our daily interactions.
- Utilizing highly-effective instruction and a challenging curriculum.
- Meeting the needs of diverse learners in order to prepare them for college and entry into a career pathway.
- Partnering with the community.
- Cultivating student leaders.
- Integrating technology into all areas of learning.