Term 4 Week 7 28 November 2022
Kia ora koutou
What an unusual amount of rain we have had this month. I don't think I can recall such persistent heavy rain in a long time. Thank you to everyone for being extra cautious when driving and dropping off your children at school especially last Friday with the sudden down pour right on 3pm.
I would like to give a huge thank you to all the PTA and community that got involved in the PTA Quiz Night last Friday. It was a huge amount of fun and we very much appreciate the effort that went into organising it. A special shout out to Rachel James who collected over $10,000 worth of sponsorship that was used for the auctions on the night.
Congratulations to the "Back of the bus kids" for taking out first place even though I am not convinced Antarctica is a true desert!!!
Unfortunately, we have had to cancel our athletics sports for this Tuesday due to our field being water-logged. We hope that we will at least be able to attend the year 5-6 Athletics sports in town on Wednesday but again the weather is not looking too good.
A big thank you to Pete our caretaker for setting up our track and keeping it looking great.
Last week both teachers and principals had their paid union meetings as part of negotiating better pay and working conditions. I just want to acknowledge our hard-working teachers who over the last three years have had to deal with so much with the pandemic. They have continued to deliver high levels of teaching and learning. We think they deserve our backing and support.
Sporting and Academic Trophies
Can we have all school sporting and academic trophies back to the school office please.
Kokopu School Athletics Sports Cancelled
HELP .. Bark Delivery
This Friday, 2nd December, we are having 20 cubic metres of bark delivered to spread on the playground. The fence will be down so the truck can back into the grass area, as close to the playground as possible. We would love some parents to come along to school with wheelbarrows and spades at 12pm on Friday to help move the bark onto the playground please.
Unfortunately due to the weather the WPSSA Athletic Championships for Year 7 and 8 in Whangarei was cancelled last week. Whangarei Athletics are upgrading their facilities so the track is unavailable at present. The event was to be held at Kensington Park but it was too wet, which may also be the case this Wednesday when the Year 5 and 6 children are to compete. It is very disappointing for the children, but out of our hands. Also the WPSSA have now decided that due to extreme numbers attending the Year 4 to 6 champs, they are going to only have Year 5 and 6 championships.
You are still our champions Ethan Procter, Kavayla Clay and Lucan Clay.
Wednesday 30th November: Year 5 and 6 - Carter Connelly-Maihi, Tristan Woolston-Boys, Caitlin Riley, Emma-Lee Delemare and Phillip Colmer.
If this goes ahead we will need transport for the Year 5 and 6 children please. Contact the school office if you can help out.
Prizegiving (Note change of venue)
This year we will hold our prizegiving on Tuesday 13th December at 6pm at the Church Unlimited, 10 Mill Road, Regent, Whangarei. We will have a kapa haka performance followed by junior prizegiving, guitar students who will play some music for us, senior prizegiving, Christmas carols and Santa. If you would like your child/children to get a gift from Santa, please send a named, wrapped gift to the value of $5 to the school office. The evening will end with a cuppa and biscuits.
Tomorrow your child will be sent home with a raffle book to sell. We have some fantastic prizes for this Christmas raffle. We will draw it at prizegiving on Tuesday 13th December. Here are a list of the prizes.
Tourex 60cm Bike – Kelly’s Automotive
Light up collapsible scooter – Kelly’s Automotive
3D Puzzle – Paper Plus
Sketching book and pencils – Paper Plus
Colour pencils – Paper Plus
Word search and Sudoku Book – Paper Plus
Blast off Pop Rocket – Rebel Sports
$150 Vivo hair and skin voucher
Surf lesson for 2 people – Tutukaka Surf
2 x Moon Ball – Rebel Sports
ITM Polo shirt – size XL
ITM Fleece shirt – size 2XL
1 x Rugby Ball
2 x round of golf at Sherwood Park Golf Club
Drink Bottles. Our water issues have be rectified but it would be good to send your child with a drink bottle full of water each day.
Hats. Please remember this term all children will be required to wear a hat when outdoors.
Year 7 & 8 Technology Training. Every Monday for term 3 and 4 our Year 7 and 8 students will be taking the bus into Manaia View School to do Technology Training. Please ensure they are at school before 9am when the bus leaves and also that they are wearing their Kokopu School Tee Shirt.
- Carpark and gate. Please come to the gate in the carpark to collect your children at the end of the day. We do not want children walking through the carpark without an adult as it is unsafe with the amount of cars and limited parking. We have a teacher on duty at the gate each day to supervise. Can we ask parents and visitors to make sure they close the gates if you use them? We have a few children that may be prone to walking out an open gate. Thank you. Please don't park by the entrance gate or teachers carpark area. Also please avoid parking by the letterbox at the front of the school. This is a dangerous area with several close calls lately.
- Absences. A reminder that it is important to contact the school before 9.30am when your child will be absent. You can either phone, email or let us know via our Skool Loop app. We need to know where your children are so we know they are safe and can mark them correctly on the roll. See details in this newsletter on how to download our Skool Loop App.
- Iceblock Sales. Ice Blocks are for sale again to raise funds for the school. Many children who come to school with $2 like to buy their friend an ice block. Please could you send a note to say they are allowed to do this? The Room 6 children do ask but a note would be easier for them.
- Term Dates. Term 1 .. 03/02— 06/04 Term 2 .. 24/04— 30/06 Term 3 .. 17/02— 22/09 .. Term 4 09/10— 15/12
- Term 4 17/10 to 15/12
- 29 November - Kokopu Athletics
- 30 November - WPSSA Y5-6 Athletics
- Room 1 and 2 Camp - 5th and 6th December
- 5 December - BOT Meeting 5.30pm
- 9 December - Christmas Dress Up Day
- 13 December - Prizegiving
- 15 December - Reports home and last day
- Term 1 2023
- Thursday 2nd February 2023 - Start school