ORE Monday Notes
Keep in your thoughts
Please keep Nicki and Robin in your thoughts this week as Nicki's husband and Robin's father, Larry, was admitted to the hospital over the weekend.
Please also keep Zoe Nulty in your thoughts as well as she and her family experienced the loss of a dear family friend this past week.
Sumdog's first Guilford County Math contest starts Friday October 9, 2015 and will run until the following Thursday. It's free to take part and there are prizes to be won! The contests are aimed at grades K - 8 but other students are also welcome to join. Students can play online either at school or at home using the website or the App. In order to join in the fun, teachers can enter their class here: http://www.sumdog.com/enter_contest. For any questions, contact email@example.com.
AR update for grades 1-3
We have all 1st-3rd grade students added to the AR site.
You should be ready to begin AR (see dates below).
For new teachers, Molly Stoltz will send you a username and password.
For returning teachers, your username and password have not changed.
Please logon to make sure that we’ve got everyone in and ready to go.
You may also want to print a copy of your roster with usernames and passwords for students.
AR will open on Oct. 1st!
The session will be: October 1st-December 4th
(Reports will be sent to PTO on Dec. 4th)
Handprints: December 11th
Instructional Framework - Content Writing!!!
Here’s a strategy to teach content writing…Quick Writes!
The goal of quick writes is to process, organize, and remember information and ideas.
Think about how you could incorporate quick writes into your daily routines. Bring these ideas to our C&I PLC on Tuesday. Please watch the following video prior to Tuesday's session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p31ZsPnNZjM
If you have examples…bring those! We would love to see how content writing happens across the school. Tuesday's session will relate directly to each of your PDPs as you have included this in your growth goals this school year! We hope you find the Tuesday afternoon session engaging and helpful as we continue to implement the GCS Instructional Framework!
Welcome Mrs. Stephanie Cook
Looking for technology integration strategies? Be sure to check out the Instructional Technology Department’s homepage. Each month, you can expect a newsletter in your updates. This month’s newsletter includes information on SchoolNet, Canvas, and Discovery Education. Please click here to view the September newsletter!
Monday, Sept. 28
- Day 1 - K-2 grade have specials and PLC meetings - Grade Level Chairs - please upload the Agenda and Minutes from the PLC Meeting directly to SharePoint in the PLC Folder for your grade level. You will not need to email them to anyone as everyone can log in to see the Agenda and print it prior to the meeting as well as the minutes that follow.
- Science Fair Packet/sheet due to Science Team
- Joie Steven's Birthday - Happy Birthday :)
- TAG Meeting meets after school in room 500
- The BOY Reading Assessment Window is now closed. Thank you for all that each of you did to complete the BOY assessments in the allowed time frame! You did an amazing job and we are very appreciative of the work that you have completed! We are now complete with that window and look forward to full implementation across our entire school with Guided Reading. If you need support finishing up any assessments or with getting Guided Reading started fully in your classroom please contact Molly Stoltz early in the week.
- It is highly suggested that you practice Tornado Drill procedures with your class early in this week!!!
Tuesday, Sept. 29
- Day 2 - 3-5th grade will have specials and PLC Meetings. Grade Level Chairs - please upload the Agenda and Minutes from the PLC Meetings directly to SharePoint in the PLC Folder for your grade level. You will not need to email them to anyone as everyone can log in to see the Agenda and print it prior to the meeting as well as the minutes that follow.
- IST will meet in the Conference Room - teachers who are on the agenda have been invited
- C &I PLC Meeting in the Media Center immediately following dismissal. This is a required meeting for all certified staff.
- Terrific Kid and October Calendar Information due to McKinney.
Wednesday, Sept. 30
- Day 3 - K-2 will have specials
- Book Fair Preview Begins (sign up is on the white board outside the lounge)
Thursday, Oct. 1
- Day 4 - 3-5th will have specials
- Science Fair Approvals are returned to classroom teachers
- Book Fair Preview
- Celebration of Excellence - 5:30 at Grimsley! Please come out to support our very own Ann Dzura and Michelle Bullins as they receive their award! Wear your Oak Ridge Spirit Wear and let's all sit together to be a loud group for Ann and Michelle! We are all so proud!!! I will bring Snow Day tickets with me to the event :)
Friday, Oct. 2
- Day 5 - K-2 will have specials
- Early Release Day - please meet in the Media Center immediately following dismissal for a light lunch/snack and meeting.
- Beginning next Monday, Oct. 5th and each Monday that follows in the month of October let's honor Breast Cancer Awareness by wearing Pink and Jeans!
- Begin preparing for our Oct. 20th Book Study meeting by reading chapters 3 and 4 in Deliberate Optimism. A reading/guide/questions will be sent to assist you as well (similar to last month).
- Next week is the Book Fair - it is also 3rd Grade Cog-AT testing and there is a school-wide night event on Oct. 8th - it is Open Night at the Book Fair and Kindergarten Spotlight on Specials. Come out and support the book fair that night if you are able :).
- Begin thinking ahead as the Writing Assessment week is Oct. 12-16th. We also have an Early Release Day that same week.
- If you did not have your Staff Picture made for the Yearbook - no worries - you can have it made on Oct. 22nd - this is picture re-take/make-up day.
- A tip that I keep hearing about - use Sign-up Genius to help with scheduling the required 1st quarter Parent/Teacher Conference. Don't forget to keep a log of your conferences as well.