Florence Sawyer School Happenings
Monday, November 16, 2020
As always, I hope that this finds you well and safe. Tonight, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey on our return to school. We appreciate your feedback and are reviewing it as a team.
Some of our initial takeaways are.
- 193 responses on the K-5 parent survey, representing about 45% of families in both learning models.
- 64 responses, representing about 30% of families for the 6-8 parent survey representing both learning models.
- Overall return to school experience - 92% between 3 and 4 on 6-8 survey
- Overall return to school experience - 79% between 3 and 4 on K-5 survey
- Both surveys suggest strong support for the Remote Learning Academy experience. 99% between 3 & 4 for K-5. 90% between 3 & 4 for 6-8
Both surveys strongly suggest students feel safe at school in the hybrid model. 84% at 4, 14% at 3 for 6-8. 85% at 4, 12% at 3 for K-5
- Overall, parents recognize and appreciate the work that has gone into developing these learning models under the evolving procedures for safety.
In the next edition of the Happenings, I will detail the steps we are taking to address the themes we are finding in the anecdotal comments.
In closing, I remain grateful for your support and feedback, especially during this unconventional school year. We remain committed to growing as a faculty and as a school community to take stock of where we are doing well and where we can be better.
Yours in partnership,
Student transition from one learning model to another
FSS Spirit Wear! Popup Shop Closes Today!!!
Today is the last day to get your orders in for the sPACtacular Spirit Wear Sale!!!
All orders will be shipped together and will be distributed by PAC in early December. As such, please be sure to include your physical address (no PO Boxes) on your order in case PAC needs to deliver your items to your home. There will be a customer service number available through the store, but if you have other questions or concerns feel free to contact Jocelyn Jastrab at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PAC Virtual Book Fair
PAC will be holding a virtual Scholastic Book Fair from 11/23-12/6. This is a great opportunity to get some holiday shopping done while also benefiting the Florence Sawyer School! Shipping will be free for orders over $25. Stay tuned for details and for teacher wish lists.
Returning Student Registration
From the Health Offices
I hope that everyone is having a healthy and safe start to the 2020-2021 school year! As you may be aware, influenza (Flu) vaccinations are now mandatory for all children in Massachusetts public schools. Children must receive their annual flu vaccination by December 31, 2020. This mandate includes both remote academy and hybrid students. Getting your annual flu vaccine is an important step in preventing flu-related illnesses this season. Once your child has received his/her flu vaccination, a copy of this record must be sent to the FSS health offices. For questions regarding this influenza requirement, please visit https://www.mass.gov/news/flu-vaccine-now-required-for-all-massachusetts-school-students-enrolled-in-child-care-pre .
Massachusetts Department of Public Health regulations require a physical examination, including documentation of immunizations, and vision screening in kindergarten, fourth grade, seventh grade, tenth grade, and for transfer students into any grade. This good health practice exists for the prevention and early detection of health problems as well as for the protection of all children in the public school system. For all students currently in 4th grade or 5th grade that did not submit a physical due to the school closure this spring, please forward a copy of this physical exam at your earliest convenience.
You may send in, email, or fax a copy of these immunization records and/or physical exams to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or via secure nurse fax at 978-965-3972 (Emerson wing) or 978-965-3969 (FSS health office). Please don’t hesitate to reach out should you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your commitment to keeping our FSS community safe this cold and flu season!
Julie and Karin
Save the Dates
11/25-27 No School, Thanksgiving Break
12/9 Early Dismissal
12/ 9 FSS School Council, 3:30
12/18 Golden Eagle Assemblies12/24-31 No School, Winter Break
FSS Virtual Backpack
Virtual Backpack Current Flyers & Form
- 2020-2021 NRSD Calendar
- McRell Scholarship Fundraiser Information
- Kindergarten Readiness-Part 2-November 18, 2020
- 2021-2022 NRSD Calendar
- Extracurricular Activity Permission Slips
Health Services/Lunches/ Buses/ Extended Learning
- 2020-2021 Welcome Back Letter from Health Services
- 2020-2021-Health Screenings Opt-Out Parent letter
- 2020-2021 NRSD School Bus Medical Emergency Information Form/Van Pool
- 2020-2021 School Bus Medical Emergency Information Form-Dee Bus
- Medication Consent Form-Medication Administration Protocol
- NRSD Allergy Action Plan
- 10 Tips for LTA Students
- NRSD LTA IHCP for middle and elementary school
- LTA NRSD Letter
- FREE MEAL FAQ'S
- MySchoolBucks Lunch Account Information
- NRSD Free and Reduced Lunch Application 2020-2021
- School Messenger-Text Messaging Service