Samuel Beck Elementary PTA
Review of the 2012-2013 School Year
Samuel Beck PTA 2012-2013 Goals
The Beck PTA Board identified in their goals for the 2012-2013 school year that it would be helpful to the PTA members at Beck to communicate what items were accomplished by the PTA during the 2012-2013 school year. This outline will enable members to see how their PTA dollars were put to work this school year. The Beck PTA appreciates everyone's contribution to the PTA, if it was hours given, money donated, or events participated in. All of these areas come together to make Beck a great school for our students and teachers!
Outline of Accomplishments
Beck PTA Board
- 11 Board members attended the PTA summer leadership seminar in Austin.
- All executive board members and chair positions attended PTA leadership orientation.
- Reorganized the PTA board positions to include more board members in executive meetings.
- Created new PTA board positions of VP of Family Engagement, Student Health Advisory Chair, Social Media and Volunteer Recruitment Chair, and Room parent Coordinators over grade levels of K-2 and 3-5, and Community Outreach.
- Held a new event called Meet the Beck PTA to introduce the board to the school and help families get involved.
- Created Beck PTA t-shirts to increase PTA visibility in the school and make it easy for families to identify PTA members to ask questions.
- Held PTA general meetings at a variety of times during the day to increase involvement and attendance.
- Instituted the use of Sign Up Genius to make it easy to sign up to get involved.
- Earned the Texas STAR Award for having a president on record at Texas PTA, being active by October 15th, current bylaws approved within the last 5 years, and a membership increase.
- Purchased a banner to designate PTA sponsored events within the school.
- Beck PTA put a system in place to take payment via credit card at events and online.
- Beck PTA started Muffins with Moms and provided muffins for the event.
- Beck PTA assisted with the event to welcome Kindergarten families by providing coffee, snacks for children in attendance, information on the PTA, and answered questions for the new families.
- Board members volunteered time to decorate and improve the appearance of the faculty lounge.
- Developed new t-shirts that were color coded by grade level for students to wear on field trips and field day as a safety measure for students. PTA contributed funds to the shirts so that the cost was able to remain $5 per shirt. PTA also provided faculty and staff with a shirt for these events.
- Established a new vendor for school supplies that can be ordered in advance by families for the 2013-2014 wchool year and now will also be available to purchase online.
- Purchased beach balls with paw print on them for end of year gift to students.
- Hosted a back to school breakfast to welcome the teachers and staff back to school after the summer.
- Created binders for each PTA board position with informational sheets to fill out and pass on to the incoming PTA so that they have a history of what has been done, cost of events, etc.
- Received the PTA Golden Apple Award for having all Beck faculty and staff join the Beck PTA.
- Received an Early Bird Achievement Award from Texas PTA.
- Received a Membership Increase Award from Texas PTA.
- The ability to join Beck PTA online was instituted.
- Instituted a new database to keep track of current Beck PTA members information.
- PTA provided a new directory that was made available for the entire school free of charge. The directory also had an app that could be downloaded to increase accessibility.
- Created a festive environment at the Back to School Pool Party and incorporated ways for students to meet other children in their grade.
- Held a new program called Bulldogs on the Lawn that was very successful in bringing families together to spend time with each other. PTA provided all the attendees with frozen yogurt and toppings catered by Yogurtland.
- Organized a history assembly to be brought in for Beck students in May, paid for by the Beck PTA.
- Organized the Reflections program and its entries.
- Hosted the annual Spooky Skate event at Skate town and provided prizes.
- Organized PTA purchased snacks and drinks for the students on Field Day.
- Started a community outreach position that organized a can food drive and coat drive for the Roanoke Food Pantry and did a coin drive to purchase books for students in need in our community.
- Continued with the Watch D.O.G. dad program. Hosted a pizza kick off event and donuts for dads during the school year.
- A council delegate attended district meetings and reported information back to the Beck PTA. From this information, the Beck PTA voted in the High Stakes Testing Resolution and distributed information about informational meetings on High Stakes Testing.
- Surveyed families at the end of the 2012 school year about what they would like to see in the Beck PTA. Assisted in encorporating the survey results into the planning for the 2012-2013 school year.
- Organized a speaker from the Texas PTA to speak to Beck families on Bullying.
- Beck PTA provided blue Beck Bulldog bracelets to remind families of our Bulldog on the Lawn event and the value of families participating in their child's school.
- Helped network with families and increase their involvement in the PTA.
- Beck PTA provided popcorn at the Beck Open House to thank families for their support of the Beck PTA.
Student Health Advisory Committee Chair
- Participated in SHAC meetings at the district level.
- Worked with other SHAC committee members at the district level to establish a family field day and programs event for schools feeding into Medlin Middle School.
Social Media and Volunteer Recruitment
- Set up a Beck PTA Facebook page to inform families about PTA events and information.
- Utilized social media to recruit volunteers needed by the PTA and the school.
- Set up a Beck PTA Pinterest Page for families to get school related ideas.
- Organized luncheons every six weeks for the teachers and staff. Each grade level was assigned a luncheon to assist in hosting to increase involvement and networking opportunities for families.
- Provided small gifts to to teachers and staff during the school year.
- Organized teacher appreciation week.
Room Parent Coordinators
- Held informational meetings for room parents at the beginning of the school year.
- Put together a new informational packet for all room parents.
- Served as an informational contact for room parents.
- Assisted in organizing volunteers to help by grade level for lunch room duty.
- Assisted in organizing class parties with funds provided to the PTA by parents.
- Set up new structure to our Bulldog Buddy Program and assisted in reaching out to the community for participants.
- Established Bulldog Wall of Fame in Beck entry way.
- Held a Fall and Spring Book Fair that raised money to purchase books for the school library and support the PTA.
- Developed new school spirit wear and products. Sold these items online as well as at school events.
- Organized Beckopoly which increased in number of particpants and funds raised.
- Established an Amazon link for fundraising on the Beck PTA website.
- Increased participation in the Tom Thumb program by promoting at the Back to School event and in the Member Packet.
- Collected Box Tops to raise money for the school to purchase PE Equipment and other needed items. Held contests every six weeks for classes with most collected. Top class was given a trophy, recognized on the announcements, and had their tables decorated for them at lunch.
- Organized Family Fun Events and encouraged family participation. Provided schedule for entire school year at the first of school so that families were able to have events on their calendar in advance.
- Added the use of the Target Card program where 5% of what you spend on your Target card comes to Beck PTA.
- Beck PTA launched an entirely new website that increased the accessibility of information for PTA events, PTA committees, directory, online store for spirit wear and membership, needed forms, etc.
- A system was put in place to provide PTA information and reminders via text messages.
- Provided emails with PTA information to the PTA members and families signed up on the Beck PTA website regarding upcoming events, volunteer opportunities, results of fundraisers etc.
- A yearbook was developed for the 2012-2013 school year. PTA was able to offer the option of hard or soft cover yearbooks.
Additional items donated to Beck Elementary by Beck PTA
- Bench, chairs, table, lights, pillows, baskets and decorative items for the front foyer in the school.
- New shelving for the school library.
- Protective ipad covers for the school ipads.
- A rechargeable ipad cart and 25 ipads for student use.