Thursday, Nov. 10, 2022
BOOK IT! Among the headlines coming out of Election Day was news that residents overwhelmingly approved a referendum to build a new 75,000 square-foot library on Main Street for $39 million. We have more on that below. Also, Veteran’s Day is tomorrow (the parade is at 10:30 a.m.), kicking off what is expected to be a warm, wet weekend. We have the details in today's OneMan and also salute two high-achieving eighth-graders.
Veterans Honored at Waddell
Calling on Future Blood Donors
- CLASS OF '26 FUNDRAISER: The MHS freshman class is partnering with Savers to donate used clothing, textiles, books, and small household goods. Donations can be dropped off at the main office at MHS anytime, or in front of the school's main entrance on Saturday Nov. 19 from 9am to noon. Click here for more info.
- FALL FLOCKING: Support an MHS senior and Project Graduation with a vibrant flamingo until the ground freezes. Click here to for more info and here to learn more about Project Graduation.
- PJ DAY FOR KIDS: The district's annual initiative to help kids fighting cancer is coming up on Dec. 9. Click here for details about how wearing PJs can raise awareness and make a difference.
This Week's Highlights
4-6 p.m. -- Learning and Liberation Lab with guest speaker Dr. Jamila Lyiscott on zoom.
5-7 p.m. -- Opening reception for ‘Perspectives of Our World’ at WORK_SPACE, 903 Main St.
6:30 p.m. -- Inaugural meeting of the Wanderlust Book Club at Mary Cheney Library.
7 p.m. -- BOE Pre-Budget Workshop at Lincoln Center..
Friday, Nov. 11
10:30 a.m. -- Manchester's Veterans Day Parade starts at the American Legion Hall on American Legion Drive.
Saturday, Nov. 12
10 - 2 p.m. -- Holiday Fair at WORK_SPACE, 903 Main St.
8 a.m. - 1 p.m. -- The last Household Hazardous Waste Collection of the year at 321 Olcott St. - Online appointments are mandatory this year.
5:30 p.m. -- Red, White & Blue Dinner at Elks Club, 30 Bissell St.
Sunday, Nov. 13
1 p.m. -- Manchester Historical Society lecture series & membership drive at 175 Pine St.
1 - 4 p.m. -- Cheney Homestead open house, 106 Hartford Rd.
Monday, Nov. 14
7 p.m. -- BOE Meeting at Lincoln Center.
7 p.m. - Manchester Garden Club presents ‘Curb Appeal’ by Jeff Hutton at Assumption Church, 27 Adams St. South.
Tuesday, Nov. 15
5 p.m. -- Debunking Food Myths with registered dietitian Lauren Rosenfeld, at Manchester Memorial Hospital.
The Manchester’s Leaf Collection program is scheduled to begin on Monday. Click here for details.
MACC Charities will hold its 14th Annual Emergency Hunger Drive the next two weekends. Click here for times and locations.
Auditions will be held for Ken Ludwig’s Baskerville:A Sherlock Holmes Mystery, on Monday and Wednesday (Nov. 14 and 16) at Cheney Hall.
‘In the Heights,’ the Tony Award winning musical, runs on the weekends at Cheney Hall through Nov. 20. Click here for details.
Down the Road:
The Little Manchester Road Race and Sports Expo will be held at Manchester High School on Nov. 19.
The Manchester Road Race is Nov. 24 and online registration is ongoing but caps at 15K. Click for more.
The 36th annual Ray Crothers Blood Drive will be held on Nov. 25 at Manchester High School from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
'Small Business Saturday' will be back on Main St. on Saturday, Nov. 26. Click here for details.
Help kids fight cancer by wearing your PJs on Dec. 9 Click here for details.
Win a Thanksgiving Dinner
Manchester Adult & Continuing Education is kicking off its winter trimester by giving away a $100 Highland Park Market gift card.
How do you enter? It's simple.
Winner to be selected on Nov. 17.
Manchester Historical Society: The Historical Society’s lecture series concludes on Sunday at 1p.m. at the History Center…Also on Sunday, the Cheney Homestead will be open from 1 -4 p.m. -- and you won’t want to miss the Art Fair on Nov. 26 at the History Center.
Manchester Adult & Continuing Education: Registration for second trimester classes, pictures from the ‘Bark in the Park’ event, win a free gift basket and much more MA&CE info.
Deadline for Bicentennial Grant Money is Monday
ALSO OF NOTE
- Help support the 10U Manchester Pop Warner Red Hawks goal to play in the Nationals in Orlando, FL. Click here to donate.
- The Hartford Shockers 'Jr. Shockers Academy' is up and running on Saturday afternoons from 3 -4 p.m. through February at East Catholic High School. All skill levels welcome. For info contact team owner/head coach Donovin Ford-Hayes @ 860-622-1652.
- NOTE: OneManchester is compiled by Paul Ofria of the school district's communications office but is dependent on contributions from people and institutions throughout the town and school district. So if you have something, anything, that you think people would want to know about, please let us know. Photos, fliers, links, tips, whatever -- please share with Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org.