The Madison School PTA Newsletter / March 5, 2021
District 200: Return to Learn Updates
Currently, the district is working with various providers to get teachers and staff vaccinated by early March.
Madison Cares: March Volunteering Highlight - DuPage Pads
DuPage Pads is a local organization making a huge impact in our community! Their mission is to end homelessness through interim housing and continued support services (help finding long term housing and secure employment).
DuPage Pads is primarily run by volunteers, and there are many ways students and parents can help be part of the solution!
Start by visiting the website to get inspired! Dupagepads.org
Outside of COVID, families and church organizations are needed to volunteer for overnight shifts to set up the sleeping pads, and prepare meals to be distributed in the evening
Create a fundraiser in your neighborhood to raise funds to donate (lemonade stand, selling homemade items)
Cook or buy a freezer meal to bring to an interim housing location
Organize a donation drive through scout troops, church groups, etc.
Gather urgently needed donation items (see website for detailed list):
New clothes, especially sweatshirts
Gift cards for basic needs
Non-perishable food items, especially microwavable meals (ramen, mac-n-cheese cups), tuna, crackers, peanut butter
DE&I Updates and Ways to Get Involved
- DEI Survey: How is CUSD 200 doing on matters relating to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion? We invite ALL community members to fill out this 5-minute, anonymous survey that will help guide our DEI efforts.
Opportunities To Get Involved
- DEI Book Club: All ages are welcome to participate in our newly forming book club. We are planning to read two books per year. To learn more and to help guide our planning, please fill out this form.
- DEI Committee: Interested in participating in the work of DEI200? Sign up to get involved.
Check out these resources from Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum, President emerita of Spelman College and author of Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria:
- "How to Talk to Your Toddler About Race" (short article)
- "Is My Skin Brown Because I Drank Chocolate Milk?" (TEDx Talk, video)
- "Ask Code Switch: What About Your Friends?" (podcast)
- March 9: Virtual Academy - Tuesdays at 2 with Mr. Callahan
- March 10: Board of Education Meeting at Hubble Middle School
- March 12: End of 2nd Trimester
- March 12: Mobile Food Pantry at Hubble Middle School
- March 16: Virtual Academy - Tuesdays at 2 with Mr. Callahan
- March 16: Parent Workshop with Dr. Bolton - Finding Meaning in Our Stress
- March 18: PTA Reflections Art Contest Virtual Awards Ceremony - 7 p.m.
- March 23: DEI issues with Wheaton community leaders
- March 29-April 2: Spring Break - No School
The next Madison PTA meeting is on March 15 at 7 p.m. via Zoom. Watch your inbox for the link. You can view the full meeting schedule for the year and access minutes from previous meetings on the Madison PTA website.