Mr.McNeil's 5/6 Math
Never Stop Thinking and Learning
Math 5/6 Parent Teacher Conferences
What is going to happen next week in Math 5/6? (October 18th - October 21st)
Monday: No School
Tuesday: Study guide for test on Wednesday & Thursday (6.NS.3) . Students have to fluently add, subtract, multiply, and divide multi-digit decimals using the standard algorithm for each operation.
Wednesday: Leadership Symposium so math will be very short. We will start the test if we can.
Thursday: Finish test then we will work on the Unit 2 P.B.L. " Roller Coasters"
Friday: Unit 2 P.B.L. " Roller Coasters" due you can access through Google classroom
Review Test, start our new unit where students have to Interpret and compute quotients of fractions, and solve word problems involving division of fractions by fractions.
Assign: 12-1 (odd) online. Students also can complete the online enrichment.
The Standards for Mathematical Practice
The 8 Standards for Mathematical Practice describe the behaviors of mathematically proficient students. Mathematics teachers at all levels should seek to develop these behaviors. During this year we will focus on all of the Mathematical Practice Standards.
Practice #1 Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
Practice #2 Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
Practice #3 Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
Practice #4 Model with mathematics
Practice #5 Use appropriate tools strategically
Practice #6 Attend to precision
Practice #7 Look for and make use of structure
Practice #8 Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning
Upcoming Important Dates
- Student Lead Parent Teacher Conferences: Wednesday, October 12th and Thursday, October 20th 4-7:30 PM
- Wed Oct 12 & Thu Oct 20 4-7:30 Conference Night & Book Fair
- Mon Oct 17 No School
- Tues Oct 18 Picture Make-up Day and Group photos
- Fri Oct 28 Harvest Party, all grades
- Fri Nov 4 End of First Trimester
- Tues Nov 8 No School
- Wed Nov 9 7 pm PTO meeting
- Thurs Nov 17 4th grade Concert
- Wed-Fri Nov 23-25 Thanksgiving Break
- Wed Dec 21 Holiday Parties, all grades
- Dec 22-Jan 3 Winter Break