The Weekly Update #5 8/28
August 28th, 2023
Weekly News (Week of August 28th)
Principal Nelson's Thoughts
Our community is Sharon Strong together. I am excited about preparing to host volunteers in the building, because we all are working to help our students learn, grow, and walk in their full potential. Doing this work together in partnership enhances its effectiveness and benefits our kids. It also brings us closer as a community and strengthens our bonds. I would challenge everyone to volunteer for something in our school at least once this year. Our children are so fortunate to be surrounded by nurturing adults at home and at school who give their all to help them be successful. Let's continue to be Sharon Strong together!
Need to Know
- **Update** Club signups will open on August 29th in SchoolPay. Clubs will begin the week of September 4th. to ensure a full 6 weeks. Click here for club offerings and info.
- There will be an Early release day on Sept 1st. School will start at the normal time but will end at 11:50am. Lunch will be served.
- Knights academy aftercare will run from 11:50am-5:00pm on the September 1st early release day.
- Kindergarten students will receive a fire safety presentation from the Forsyth County Fire department on the 31st.
- Students will receive a SOAR (Safely, Orderly And Respectfully) bus program presentation from the Forsyth Transportation department on September 8th.
- House Cup kicked off last week. You can purchase a House color shirt for your student(s) here. Click the table of contents or scroll for more details.
- Is your child interested in joining the Girl's Lambert Feeder Basketball Program? Check out the flyer below!
- All ice cream birthday orders must be placed in SchoolPay no later than 4pm on the Thursday before the week you would like to celebrate the birthday.
- You can add money to SchoolPay for individual Ice Cream. We will start distributing individual Ice Cream in the cafeteria during the week of September 5th every Wednesday and Friday.
- Lunch visits with students will begin the week of September 4th. Please click the table of contents or scroll for more details.
- Past newsletters are archived on our school website and can be found here
Need to do
- Please check your child's MyPaymentsPlus account to ensure that they have sufficient lunch funds for the week.
- We would love to share your culture with our students and staff! Please help us with our "Where in the World" segment on the live morning news each week by filling out this form.
- Check out the archived "Where in the World" segments here.
Let's Connect....on Facebook! Updates, reminders, pictures, and more. Never miss a to-do! CLICK HERE to view our page.
Volunteer Role Spotlight: YEARBOOK COMMITTEE! -Do you take pictures of your kids? Could you do that at a school event and upload them to a website? Then this is the volunteer role for you!
- CLICK HERE to learn more about this and other opportunities, or CLICK HERE to get more info about volunteering.
- Thanks for Your Support -Thanks to everyone who made it to Brusters, we had a great turnout. Next Spirit Night is planned for September 19th for Los Hermanos. Taco Tuesday!
- Spirit Wear- Adult Spirit Wear is available to order for a little longer on line, CLICK HERE to order. Orders will be delivered to your child's classroom in September.
- 29-Boy Scout Recruitment Event 6:30 pm in cafe
- 31-Fire Safety (Kindergarten)
- 1-Early Release (Teacher PD)
- 4-No School (Labor Day)
- 8-SOAR Bus Program
Click to see our School Calendar for more dates throughout the year!
⭐ Shining Knights ⭐
Curriculum night fun!
Thank you to Ms. Catie MacDonald for her volunteer work during curriculum night to ensure that our parents were able to purchase Knight spirit wear.
House cup kick off
We kicked off our house cup last week. Each classroom belongs to one of the five Houses: House of Courage, House Emerald, House of Gold, House of Draconem, or House of Ignis. Students have opportunities to help their class earn house points for things such as Walk to School Days, displaying appropriate lunch behavior, and checking out books from the library. At the end of each month, homerooms will compete in small, house competitions to earn points for their house. At the end of the year, the students will have a school-wide celebration day with their House. You can purchase a House color shirt for your student(s) here: https://sharonhouse.itemorder.com
Lunch Visits with Students
We are excited to accommodate parents wanting to each lunch with their children! In an attempt to extend greater flexibility to parents, no sign up is required to eat lunch with your child. For safety you must check in at the front desk and all guests must show a license or passport to gain entry and wear their visitor badge for the duration of their visit. Parents and students will be able to eat at the tables behind the rear stairwell as well as the adjacent Multipurpose Room for overflow seating when it's not in use for classroom transformations. To make sure we have enough seating, we ask that you limit your visits to no more than once per week so that there is room for all. For safety and to protect the integrity of instructional time in classes, please do not leave the designated eating areas during your visit and do not drop by to visit any classrooms as all classroom visits must be arranged prior with the teacher. Finally, please bring your child back to the cafe before the end of their lunch for teacher pick up. We can't wait to see you!
Welcome Sharon Knights! School is getting in the groove and we are here to help! Our main focus now is helping student’s adjust to the new year. Here is a great resource as you adjust with this transition. Please let us know if we can support your students in any way. We will be kicking off our 7 Mindsets on Tuesday, September 5th, with "Everything is Possible". We will also have our annual 7 Mindsets Night, Thursday, September 21st so mark your calendars. More details to come!
Join the DIGS Family Gardening Club!
We’ve heard you. You want to volunteer in your community and get back to nature! This is your chance to interact with the chickens (take home fresh eggs) and help keep our beautiful DIGS plant and vegetable garden looking healthy. Asking for parent/family volunteers to feed the chickens and do light gardening throughout the school year (weeding & pruning as needed) on Mondays or Wednesdays-mornings or afternoons. Whether you can volunteer one day or many, we need you! Starting Sept 6th through May 22, 2024. Please contact Lea Johnston at 404-271-3206 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.”
Volunteer Role Spotlight: New Families Liaison
Want to help make that transition a tiny bit less stressful for new families that join Sharon during the school year? Then this is the volunteer role for you. CLICK HERE to learn more this and other opportunities, or CLICK HERE to get more info about volunteering.
THANK YOU Legacy Donors!
A very special, sincere, exuberant THANK YOU to our Legacy Donor Families this year! We are so grateful for your generous support of our goals for Sharon.