Whittier Weekly Newsletter
October 9, 2020
Whittier Elementary School Parent Teacher Association
WhES PTA Information
- The PTA held their first PTA meeting on Monday October 5, 2020. The turn out was fantastic! Thank you to everyone who took time to join us for the meeting!
- Committee positions open and available. If you are interested in getting involved, we have a place for you. Experience isn’t necessary! Look for details on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
- The PTA needs you! Click here to join the PTA. All members will be entered into a raffle for cool prizes. Names will be drawn on October 28th @ Trunk or Treat.
- Mark your calendars for October 28th 6:30-8:00 for drive through Trunk or Treat. We need some trunks and some treaters…. Sign up here: Trunk or Treat Sign Up
- Parent Teacher Conferences are right around the corner. Our PTA hosts dinner for our teachers on one of the evening conferences. With COVID restrictions, we can not provide food. We are asking for gift card donations to restaurants for our teachers. Gift cards can be dropped off at WhES front office from 9 -3 starting Monday October 12 until Monday October 19th. A PTA Board member will be available at the school on Wednesday October 14th from 4:00-8:00 pm to accept gift cards.
- Box Tops- We are still collecting Box Tops. Great news- you just need to scan your receipts- no more clipping! https://www.boxtops4education.com/
- Follow us on Facebook- @WhittierPTAFrederick
- Follow us on Twitter- @whittierpta1
- Follow us on Instagram @whittierpta1
Looking Ahead to the Next Two Weeks
Dear Whittier Families,
We are really looking forward to parent conferences on October 21, 22, and 23. The school schedule will be different on those days and we wanted to make sure you had information ahead of time in order to prepare.
There are no pre-k classes on these three days. **Our full-day pre-k classroom will operate in the afternoon on a modified schedule, however.
Wednesday, October 21 and Thursday October 22: 4 hour late start. Student instructional time in the afternoon Parent-Teacher conferences until 8 pm
Friday, October 23: 3.5 hour early dismissal. Instructional time in the morning. Conferences in the afternoon until 4:00 pm
What to expect before conference time?
- Sign-up genius from your child's classroom teacher
- Parent input to prepare for conference time
- Student input in preparation for conference
What to expect at your conference?
- a focus on what you shared in your input prior to the conference
- a collaboration focused on your students' success
- specific information that will lead to action
What to expect after your conference?
- a specific goal that has three actors all working on student learning and success: the student will do..., the teacher will do..., the parent will do...
Yearbooks have arrived, finally. We will distribute Yearbooks on Wednesday, October 14th between 4:00-8:00 pm at the front of the school, utilizing the same logistics and safety protocols as our previous pick-up times.
Kindergarten Parents - we have some things for your child to help with learning:
Countdown boards to use with phonics instruction
Materials to support mathematics instruction
Materials to support fine-motor development and pre-writing skills
Some books for those who would like some
Same time as Yearbook distribution on Wednesday, October 14th from 4:00-8:00 pm
Drive up the front loop of the school please. Adults will be there to assist you.
Next distribution date for materials:
When? November 4th from 5:00-7:00 pm
Who? We will send communication for any grade levels that need to provide some materials to students and families
Thank you, as always, for your continued support for your child and our school.
Mr. OhEithir, Principal
Our counselors and peer mentors have a LOT to offer!
We've got two special guest peer mentors this week! Thank you to Ginger and Nick for your contributions and support for bullying prevention. As always, there are great opportunities here for families to get additional support from our counselors.
Some Lexia Wisdom from Jason, 5th Grade Peer Mentor
As a part of the annual Rev. M.L.K. Jr. Annual Character Award , the Elementary Visual and Performing Arts Office would like to feature one artwork from each elementary school that demonstrates this year’s theme. Click above for details.
Whittier Elementary School - Believe, Achieve, Succeed
We will also communicate through our school website
Follow me on Twitter @fcpsOhEithir where I will communicate school news and happenings