Persuasive Writing in Popular Culture Advertising
Advertisers use many techniques to get people to buy their products.
• Snappy slogans e.g. Subway Eat Fresh
• Exaggeration (Hyperbole) e.g. Disneyland is the happiest place on Earth
• Intriguing questions e.g. What can you do with the new iPad?
• Appealing adjectives e.g. velvety chocolate
• Wordplay e.g. Use Tubb’s Margarine – it’s a spreading habit.
• Tempting descriptions of benefits e.g. This product will change your life!
- Who is the ad trying to reach?
- Is there a slogan?
- What claims does the ad make?
- What kind of adjectives are used?
- Is there word play?
- Is the ad effective? Do you want to buy what they are selling?