Mrs. Whitlock's Weekly Updates
Tuesday, October 18: Picture Retake Day
Friday, October 21: Social Studies Positional Quiz, Spelling and Weekly Quiz, Homework Packet Due
October 24-28: Red Ribbon Week
Thursday, October 27: Science Test on Matter, Academic Teams fundraiser at Sweet Tomatoes (30% of proceeds will go back to FSA)
Friday, October 28: First Grade Fall Festival! (more information to come)
Monday, October 31: Pumpkin Book Report Due!
Tuesday, November 1: Every Kid Votes! Mock Election Day
Friday, November 5: Social Studies Location Quiz
Please bring Thermoses!
Please sign up to volunteer for our Fall Festival - see link below!
Pumpkin Book Report Project
Please remember that although this is a fun contest, your child will also be graded on his or her book report and completion of a pumpkin character. Refer to the rubric for specifics!
Hillcrest Orchards trip on October 26
Thank you everyone for turning in their field trip forms early! This makes everything go so much smoother!
1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade students will be heading on a field trip to Hillcrest Orchards on Wednesday, October 26th. All the kids will participate in a wagon ride through the orchards, around the pond, and through the woods, visit an apple and honey bee museum, learn about animals and visit a petting zoo, hold a baby chick, watch and maybe participate in milking a cow, cheer on some pigs in a pig race, and enjoy some fresh apples and apple cider!
Here’s what you need to know:
- When: We depart from school by 8:15 am and return to school between by 3:00 pm on October 26th.
- Where: Hillcrest Orchards 9696 Hwy. 52 E., Ellijay, Georgia 30536 - 706-273-3838
- How: Students and Chaperones will be transported using a school bus.
- Cost: Students should bring $13 to their homeroom teacher in cash or a check made out to “FSAPS” by Wednesday, October 19th if they would like to attend.
- The Hillcrest Orchards staff needs the final student count by Wednesday afternoon so any students who have not paid $13 by Wednesday at 4:45 pm will be unable to attend this trip.
- Lunch: We will eat lunch at the orchard. Please make sure nothing needs to be heated and that your child’s lunch is packed in a disposable bag.
- Chaperones: My class chaperone list is currently full. If you are still interested in being a chaperone, you can sign up on my waitlist on the SignUpGenius.
- Attire: Make sure your student comes to school wearing some layers. As the weather warms up throughout the morning, the kids can do some shedding! Students should wear comfortable shoes and the trip is planned for rain or shine. If there is light rain in the forecast, bring a raincoat. If there is heavy rain the trip will be canceled. Your child is allowed to wear jeans or comfortable pants on this trip, but they must also wear their red FSAPS polo.
Every Kid Votes!
Home Visit Program
I absolutely love home visits! Home visits are a special program offered by FSAPS to help build the parent, student, and teacher relationship. This is an opportunity for your child's teachers to visit and get a closer look at their life at home. This helps a teacher to know more about each of his/her students, and build a strong relationship between school and family. These are optional, but if you would be interested in planning a home visit for your child, please see the information below.
How Can You Schedule a Home Visit?
This process is very simple. Please send an e-mail to our home visit coordinator, Mrs. Unal, at email@example.com. In that email, please provide three available dates for your child's home visit. We will get back to you to confirm a date. At least two teachers will be together for home visits; specific names/subjects will be dependent upon teacher availability.
For any questions you have about this program, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: the best times to schedule a home visit are weekdays after 5:00pm and on Saturdays.
FSAPS Mobile App Now Available!
We are happy to inform you that now you can check fsaconnect by mobile app.
Here is how you can access the app:
ITunes App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radix-mobile/id1159005166?mt=8
Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radix.radixmobile
The links can also be found at the bottom of your connect page by the other social media links (see image to the left). A pop-up banner will appear on top of the screen when users access the school connect on their mobile devices.
Site link: https://fsaconnect.fultonscienceacademy.org
Username: fsaconnect username
Password: fsaconnect password
A Peek at Next Week...
Please continue to pace out the Pumpkin Book Report!
Wordly Wise Vocabulary: design, stormy, batteries, section, raise
Spelling Words: home, hope, rose, woke, those, bone, hose, joke, rode, stone, down, inside, now, there, together
Science: We will continue exploring matter by observing mixtures and distinguishing what mixtures can be separated and what mixtures cannot. We will also go ahead and complete our chapter review so that students will have plenty of time to practice these skills before our test on the 27th!
Social Studies: We are continuing our landform project during class, where students are creating their own location and labeling a map with a compass rose, map key, and more! Students will have a positional quiz on Friday. On this quiz, students will be expected to label a compass rose appropriately (using the words north, south, east, and west). They will then listen to directions using positional words and cardinal directions to help them complete a picture (for example, draw a mouse south of the compass rose, draw a dog to the left of the mouse).
Character Education: Mrs. Kelly, our school counselor, will be doing a special citizenship lesson with us next week. We will also be discussing empathy in our second step lessons.
Mrs. Melissa Whitlock
First Grade Teacher
Fulton Science Academy Private School
Pre-K through High School
Serving Advanced and Gifted Students
INNOVATION, EXCELLENCE, CHARACTER