- Woolly mammoths are known for their heavy fur coats and long, curved teeth called tusks
- extra bones, called cervical ribs
- mammoths lived in a tough environment
- They faced hunger and disease
- 16 samples of mammoth bones from the base of the neck at the Natural History Museum
- scientist looked at other bones in comparrison.
- The woolly rhino lived on Earth between 20,000 - 50,000 years ago
- five-year old Amelia had unearthed the Atlas vertebra (the bone supporting the neck) of a Woolly Ice-Age Rhinoceros.
- she noticed something stuck in the mud
The woolly rhino lived on Earth between 20,000 - 50,000 years ago
They were herbivores
lived alone or in really small family groups
long gray-brown shaggy hair and two horns both made out of matted hair
The closest one is a rhino species that lives on the island of Sumatra.
Fossils A peek into the past
- The ice age occured between 1.6 million and 10,000 years ago.
- Mammoths are extinct, so they dont exist
- Carnivors are meat eating animals
- Mammoths weighed about six to eight tons and were about 9 feet tall
- Mary learned her skills as a fossil hunter from her father
- Plesiosuarus, means " almost like a lizard."