Mrs. Scallan's Class
October 15th 2015
ALL ABOUT OUR WEEK
This week in Language Arts we learned about the Letter Buddy Furry F . We learned how to write the Letter F! We practiced writing the letter in our phonics workbooks, on paper, and in our Letter Buddy journals! We listened to the F song on Abc mouse. com! We listed F words on a Furry F chart paper. We also colored, cut, and sorted F's. We learned about the farm and read many stories about life on the farm. We listed and wrote about things that we will see on our upcoming field trip to Cherry Crest Farm. We used sentence strips to write down our thoughts. We painted beautiful barns, fields, and silos using watercolors.
In Math, we worked on recognizing numbers. We matched number cards and counted beans in centers. We colored pumpkin seeds to the correct number set. We learned about estimation and guessed how many pumpkins seeds our class pumpkin had. We used seeds from our pumpkin to count with after they were washed and dried.
The fact book Seed, Sprout, and Pumpkin Pie by JIll Esbaum and Gail Gibbons book The Pumpkin Book helped us to learn about the growth of the pumpkin from a tiny seed. We took turns scooping out the inside of our class pumpkin and separating the seeds. We carved our pumpkins into a tradition Jack-o-lantern!
- ON TUESDAY we will be going to Cherry Crest Farm. We will need to dress warmly as it is chilly on the farm. Please pack a peanut free completely disposable lunch. We will be leaving around 8:30 and will be returning to school at 3:30. Please let me know if you have any questions.
- We will be introducing a new Letter Buddy! We will learn how to write the letter, recognize it's sound, and brainstorm words that begin with that letter. In Math, we will work on number recognition and number writing! We will go fishing for letters and numbers and learn about life on the farm!
- October 16 - Parade of Pumpkins - Third grade will present the 12th annual Parade of Pumpkins, a spook-tacular display of Jack-O-Lanterns. All proceeds from pumpkin sales and the event will go to Bringing Hope Home. PLEASE BRING IN A CANDLE OR LED LIGHT FOR YOUR PUMPKIN! RETURN PUMPKINS BY FRIDAY MORNING!
- October 18 - 23 - Mr. Rodia will be attending the Annual Principal's Conference.
- October 20 - Cherry Crest Farms Field Trip - Permission slips and chaperone sign-ups have been sent home. Please Return asap
- October 23 - Spirit Day - dress down and have crazy hair!
- October 25 - PAC needs your help! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are available to help decorate for our annual Halloween Parade and Party. Thank you in advance!
- October 30 - PAC Halloween Parade & Party at 12:30 pm more info to follow