REES STAR NEWS
10/01/2019 | Principal: Mr. Baez | Asst. Principal: Ms. Wong
FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Dear Rees Elementary Families,
Thank you to all of our parents who attended our parent night last Thursday. If you were unable to attend, be sure you set up a conference with your child's teacher so you can find out more about classroom routines and expectations.
In case you missed it, last week we hosted our first parent lunch days. Because of scheduling issues and space, we had to break it into three different days and move the eating area to the front hallway. We have also asked that parents refrain from using their cell phones for calling or texting during this visit. We want parents to focus solely on family lunch time with their child. Because of the limited seats at each table, I am asking that parents stagger their parent lunch day visits. Only coming once or twice a month will help ease the congestion and allow for all families to have a place to sit. This year we have also had to limit visitors to no more than three per child.
October is off to a great start. I look forward to communicating with parents regularly through our digital newsletter. We will no longer be sending home a printed copy of the newsletter. Instead, it will be delivered via text, Twitter, Facebook, and posted on the campus web page. Please be sure you keep your cell phones updated with the school district as well as signing up for a Twitter account so you can follow Rees Elementary.
Have a great week!
Paul Baez, Principal
LUNCH FUN WITH THE PRINCIPAL, ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL, COUNSELOR, AND MRS. ROLLS
HEALTH & WELLNESS NOTES
I am in charge of me!
The 7 Habits remind us to “Be Proactive” about being happy and happy people are healthier people.
We can learn to be proactive about what we put in our bodies. Foods give our bodies the nutrients and energy we need to breathe, pump blood, grow and do physical and mental activities.
Rees students are learning to classify food using the categories “Go, Slow, Whoa”. This is an easy way to recognize foods that are the smartest choices.
GO- Foods: Eat almost anytime (Most often)
— lowest in fat, added sugar, and calories, fresh, less processed
SLOW- Foods: Eat sometimes (Less often)
— higher in fat, added sugar, and/or calories
WHOA- Foods: Eat once in a while (Least often)
— very high in fat and/or added sugar, and are much higher in calories
Learn more about it:
PARENT LUNCH DAY EXPECTATIONS
- Stagger your visit to Rees. Visit only once or twice a month.
- Arrive no earlier than five minutes before your child's lunch time.
- Do not sit at the tables until instructed by Mrs. Grimaldo, our parent lunch coordinator.
- Please keep group size to no more than three visitors at a time due to limited space.
- Parents may only invite their child to the parent lunch table after handing the classroom teacher the orange card. No friends or cousins may join the student.
- Parents may not use cell phones to text or make phone calls during parent lunch days.
- Parents must monitor and supervise their children at all times.
- Students having lunch with their parents must remain seated at all times.
- Younger siblings MUST stay seated with their parents. No wandering please.
- Students must be ready to line up with their class when it is time to leave.
- Leave the cafeteria after your child's lunch so that other parents have a turn to sit.
WEDNESDAYS: Grade 1
THURSDAYS: Grade K
FRIDAYS: Grades 2, 3, 4
* Fast food lunches should NOT be brought to the school for students except on the designated parent lunch day.
* Parent must present a valid ID and be listed on the registration card. No exceptions.
Oct. 1 - Rees Parent Newsletter Published
Oct. 2 - Boy Scouts Rally Night at Rees (6:00-7:00 PM)
Oct. 3 - Fall Fundraiser DUE - Final Deadline
Oct. 3 - College Night at Taylor High School (6:00-8:00 PM)
Oct. 4 - Leadership Cafe Day (11:15 AM & 12:10 AM)
Oct. 7 - STEM After School Club (3:30-4:40 PM)
Oct. 10 - Family Library Night (5:00-7:00 PM)
Oct. 11 - First 9 Weeks Grading Period Ends
Oct. 14 - Columbus Day/Student & Staff Holiday - NO SCHOOL
Oct. 15 - Rees Rising Star September Celebration
Oct. 15 - Rees Parent Newsletter Published
Oct. 17 - Report Cards Go Home
Oct. 17 - HEB Bully Awareness School-Wide Assembly
Oct. 18 - Positive Action School-Wide Assembly
Oct. 18 - Alief Military Appreciation Night at LeRoy Crump Stadium (5:00-10:00 PM)
Oct. 22 - Shared Decision Making Committee Meeting (3:45-5:00 PM)
Oct. 25 - Annual Fall Festival Fundraiser Night (5:00-8:00 PM)