Clarks Creek Staff News
Feb. 8 - 12, 2016
We continue to have a very busy schedule for this week! Our opening week for One School, One Book has gone very well and the kids are seeming excited about it! Don't forget to take advantage of the "photo props" in Town Hall as we continue through the book.
As we hit the middle of the stretch between Christmas break and spring break, sometimes people find it hard to stay positive with the cold weather, busy schedule, and high demands of upcoming testing. Instead, commit to staying positive during this great segment of time where we can really impact student learning! Check out this short article for how to do just that.
It's going to be a great week!
Announcements and Reminders
- Reminder - Valentine's Day is approaching, and the Lions' Club is once again planning to distribute valentines to our neighbors in retirement homes. If your class would be willing to participate in this great way to make someone else's day, please have the cards (or decorations, etc.) your students make to the office by 9:00 a.m. on Feb. 11th and the Lions will pick them up for delivery.
- Colleen and I will be putting a bag of valentines for your students in your mailbox. If you would please have a student put one in each student's valentine bag, we would appreciate it!
- Add these two alternate schedule dates to your calendar - Feb. 23 (1st grade music program), and May 16 (reward for math facts challenge).
- You can announce to your students that the reward for completing the math facts challenge will be to to attend the Wonder Wheels BMX Stunt Team performance coming to our school on May 16th! This stays in line with the "racing" theme and should provide an amazing spectacle in what it looks like to "insist on your personal best" by practicing and practicing - just like our students need to do with their math facts!
10-Day Forecast of Upcoming Events
- 2/8 - 2/12 Continuation of STAR and CogAT assessments
- 2/8 Dumpster Drummers performance - 10:15 in the gym; all invited
- 2/8 PTO Meeting 6:30pm
- 2/9 Meeting with Mr. Olinger (optional) - LGI 7:55 a.m.
- 2/9 Professional Development - 4:00; see list of locations below
- 2/10 New Teacher Induction Mtg 3:30-5:30pm Superintendent's Office
- 2/10 Marisa Out for Cabinet Mtg in a.m.
- 2/10 March Field Trip Paperwork Due to MD
- 2/10 5th Grade Mouthpiece Testing
- 2/11 Valentine Parties 2:30-3:15
- 2/11 School Board Mtg 7:00pm Superintendent's Office
- 2/15 Mid-Winter Break - No School
- 2/16-2-18 Marisa will be at the Effective Schools Conference
- 2/18 Staff Meeting - 4:00 in the LGI
Professional Development - Tuesday
- Literacy Stations #2: Implementing Literacy Stations for Fluency (K-5) - Brian Nelson's Room
- Introducing Comprehension Strategies to Students (K-12) - Pat Ward's Room
- Delivering Dynamic Comprehension Lessons (K-12) - Library
- Creating and Conducting Differentiated Small Groups (K-5) - LGI
- 18 Power Strategies to Boost Reading and Writing Achievement on Standardized Tests (3-12) Teachers from Central will present strategies. - Cafeteria
Classroom Photos Needed
One last plea for teachers and staff to submit photos for the yearbook. Photos may be submitted to email@example.com. Please include what school, grade and classroom or activity is pictured in the photo. Again if you have a large quantity of pictures and would like for us to provide a thumb drive to place them on, just let me know and one will be delivered to the school.
- Our students and families are reading! We are hearing lots of "buzz" about our One School, One Book program!
- Our school made the paper twice this week - both for awesome reasons! Check out the articles if you missed them!