Power edTech Weekly
A weekly bulletin of tips, tricks, and news in edtech
Week of 12/9/19
This week is the Hour of Code week. Many teachers across the district (and country) are taking some time out of class to explore some of the coding activities available. They are simple to do, and self-directed. Check out some suggested activities here.
Here's this week's delayed edition of Power edTech Weekly!
Check out "Google Cast for Education" to help you with presentations in class. Easily cast a student's presentation from their Chromebook to your projector. Learn how!
Do you have some students that need a little extra motivation to stay focused in class? Many teachers are making use of "Class Dojo" to reward students for a job well done! This is a great tool for any staff member working with a student or group of students to help motivate them to contribute positively to the class. Learn how!
Online Professional Learning
Show off your skills by becoming a Google Certified Teacher or by learning about a variety of tools and earning one of many badges. Check it out here!
Online Professional Learning
Saturday, Dec. 21st, 10am
This is an online event.
I’m signed up for a GREAT free online conference for teachers in December and wanted to tell you about it.
It’s called the Ditch That Textbook Digital Summit. There are nine video presentations from awesome presenters on topics related to tech and solid teaching and learning. Get your free ticket at: DitchSummit.com.
HOW IT WORKS: New presentations are released every day from Dec. 21-31 (except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day). They remain available until Jan. 8 so you can re-watch or catch up on any you’ve missed. They’re pre-recorded, so you can watch them whenever you want until Jan. 8. After that, the summit ends and the videos are unavailable to watch anymore.
FREE PD HOURS: You can get FREE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CREDITS for watching the videos. There’s a form to fill out after each presentation, and you’ll get an automatic PD certificate emailed to you.
Sign up for the digital summit at DitchSummit.com.
This year’s new speakers include:
Austin Kleon, author of Steal Like an Artist
Jam Gamble, educator/speaker/entrepreneur extraordinaire
Nate and Angie Ridgway, co-authors of Don't Ditch That Tech
Toney Jackson, teacher-poet and all-around inspiration
Matt Miller, author of Ditch That Textbook
Omar López, a teacher doing amazing things with project-based learning
Jaime Donally, a guru in immersive tech, AR, VR and more
Karon Weber, from the Hacking STEM team at Microsoft
Pooja Agarwal and Patrice Bain, co-authors of Powerful Teaching
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Industry Guest Speakers
A great tool for teachers looking to have their students learn about careers and industry are "Industry Chats" put out by Nepris. Nepris came out of a real need they heard from educators, industry leaders, professionals and community partners alike, to reduce the barriers between industry and education. Their core mission: Making industry engagement part of the everyday classroom by empowering teachers to engage students in STEAM!
Here are some upcoming Industry Chats you might look to take advantage of:
- Dec 10 | New Excel Functions that will Excite You! | 11:00ET / 8:00PT |Grades 9-12
- Dec 10 | World War II: Causes & Consequences | 1:00ET / 10:00PT |Grades 9-12
- Dec 10 | Becoming an Intern | 2:00ET / 11:00PT |Grades 9-12
- Dec 11 | Careers in Tech Training | 2:00ET / 11:00PT |Grades 6-12
- Dec 12 | How Math & Science are Used to Build Roads | 12:00ET / 9:00PT |Grades 9-12
- Dec 12 | Wetlands are Wonderful | 2:00ET / 11:00PT |Grades K-8
- Dec 13 | STEM History: Tech from the Middle East | 1:00ET / 10:00PT |Grades 6-12
WEEK OF DECEMBER 16TH
- Dec 16 | Becoming a Successful Entrepreneur | 12:00ET / 9:00PT |Grades 9-12+
- Dec 16 | Be Your Best: The 8 Dimensions of Wellness | 1:00ET / 10:00PT |Grades 9-12
- Dec 17 | The Future of the Training Industry | 11:00ET / 8:00PT |Grades 6-12
- Dec 18 | Weather Observation & Forecasting | 11:00ET / 8:00PT |Grades 9-12
- Dec 18 | Are You Being Seen in Virtual Recruitment? | 1:00ET / 10:00PT |Grades 9-12+
- Dec 18 | Making a Successful College Plan | 2:00ET / 11:00PT |Grades 9-12
- Jan 7 | Being a User Experience Designer | 11:00ET / 8:00PT |Grades 6-8
- Jan 13 | Tips on Management vs. Leadership | 12:00ET / 9:00PT |Grades 9-12+
- Jan 15 | Learn About the Ochsner Cancer Institute | 3:00ET / 12:00PT |Grades 6-12+
- Jan 16 | What Does an E-Learning Developer Do? | 11:00ET / 8:00PT |Grades 6-12
- Jan 17 | Working as a Building Technology Engineer | 12:00ET / 9:00PT |Grades 9-12