GCS Media Matters
Upcoming Task and Dates to Remember for this Week.
Remember to "Save As" your "school name 2015-2016 Collection development plan" and email to Jackie as an attachment.
This Week September 21-25
- Remember our Extreme Transformation Challenge... Send before pictures to email@example.com
- All eBook Classroom Connections Training have been CANCELLED until further notice. Tammy will be flipping the training and offering one on one training for those people that still have questions. Contact Tammy to schedule a one on one
- Sept. 30 DUE DATE: Collection Development Plan DUE to Media Services- email these to Jackie Pender-Jones firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elementary and High School Follow Up meeting notes will be shared tomorrow.
- Elementary iPad App Survey date extended.
- Oct. 1 Celebration of Excellence- See dates and times 4:30 Grimsley. See Details below
Oct. 2 Early Release Day
Please start to make plans to collect these minutes and enter them at the link above.
Dates to Remember
Oct. 7 Elementary BOB Organizational Meeting 3:30-4:30 Wash. St. Rm 300
Oct. 8 Middle School BOB Organizational Meeting 3:30-4:30 Wash. St. Rm 300
Oct. 8 High School BOB Organizational Meeting 4:30-5:30 Wash. St. Rm 300
Oct. 9 iPad App survey Due
Oct. 14 Early Release Day
Oct. 15 Destiny for Beginners Rm 300 Wash. St.12:00-3:00 Open to all media specialists
Oct. 16 DUE DATE: MTAC Committee Members Due via Link (See Below)
Oct. 22, 23 & 24 NCSLMA Conference Winston Salem
Oct. 26 Teacher Workday
Oct. 30 DUE DATE: All staff and students trained using eBooks
MTAC Committee members DUE via Digital Form October 16th
Please click the appropriate level below and enter your school MTAC committee members for the 2015-2016 School Year.
Need more information?
- Click here to find out More Information about MTAC Committee and the members that need to be included
Discovery Education Presents DENapalooza 2015
- What: DENapalooza 2015: A free, full day of learning opportunities from Discovery Education with presentations given by STAR Discovery Educators and members of the DEN Team.
- When: November 14, 2015
- Where: Raleigh, NC
- For more information, click here.
YA Literature will meet at 6pm-7pm and may be altered to meet everyone's schedule. Karen Meier will send details for location and sign up.
Tuesday, October 13- 6:00 HP Barnes and Noble High Point location
Monday, November 9
Tuesday, December 8
Monday, January, 25
Tuesday, February 23
Weather Make-up date: Tuesday, March 14
Global Education Resources
From the desk of Jackie
Check out these great ideas to celebrate Heritage.
- What are Culture Kits?
- Culture Kit Updates
- NEW Global Videos!
- Global Oneness Project FREE Lesson Plans
- Hispanic Heritage Pinterest Board
- World View Fall Symposium
Celebrate HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH
National Hispanic Heritage Month takes place each year from September 15th-October 15th. Throughout this time we acknowledge the valuable contributions made, and the important presence and impact of Hispanic and Latino Americans in the United States, and celebrate their heritage and culture.
Study Abroad Information Session
- Location: High Point Central High School- Media Center
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 6pm to 8pm
This first Study Abroad Information Session of the school year will focus on two important scholarships available for our students:
- CIEE Global Navigator Scholarship: Our district was selected last year as a recipient of this scholarship. Two of our schools, High Point Central and Northwest High can apply to receive $20,000 but a similar amount is available for scholarships at large, to which all our high school students can apply to. Last year 26 of our kids travelled to 10 different countries, receiving a total of $73,785. We can make it happen again!!! Deadline: December 10
- NSLI-Y: The National Security Language Initiative for Youth program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, provides merit-based scholarships for eligible high school students to learn less commonly taught languages in summer and academic-year overseas immersion programs. Deadline: October 29 at 4pm
Counselors, parents and students can contact me with any related questions.
Media Specialist Matter
Please join us in remembering the media specialist below:
- Brenda Little/Andrews HS, father passed, 3505 Meadowbriar Court, GSO, NC 27410
- Rita Christie/Smith HS, sickness/extensive leave, 2923 Konnoak Dr., Winston-Salem, NC 27127
- Paula Ward/Montileu, sickness/extensive leave
- Stacey Caudle/Bluford, sickness/extensive leave
Please feel free to send a card to show them we care if you wish.
Register now for the NCSLMA 2015 Annual Conference
- When: October 22 - 24, 2015
- Why: Empowering Students: Literacy For All Ensuring that all of our students have access to resources that they can see themselves in as well as use.
- Where: Benton Convention Center Winston-Salem, NC
- Click HERE to find out more about the conference.
- Click Here to Register for the Conference
Register Early prices go up after Oct. 9.
Instructional Technology and Innovation
- CLICK HERE to access their Back to School Digital Newsletter.
- Please feel free to share with your staff.
Photo Directory Pictures Needed
Please send Tammy a picture of yourself for the GCS Media Specialist online Picture Directory.
CLICK HERE to verify if you need to send in a picture.
Library Media Services
Have a wonderful week!
Remember: If you would like text reminders about media services events text @mediaspe to (469)209-4439
Employee of the Month
CLICK HERE to nominate someone for Employee of the Month.