Monday, June 29
Follow us on Twitter: @FranklinBolts
Summer Office Hours 9:00-3:00 (Monday-Thursday)
Back to School Night
We look forward to seeing all our families.
While the hallways at Franklin remain empty that doesn't mean all is calm. After students left on that Friday, June 5 construction projects began. The following construction projects will be taking place this summer:
- 3rd Floor Restroom Renovation: Both the boys' and girls' restroom will be completed remodeled to be ADA compliant. Everything from the fixtures to the walls will be completely new.
- Tuckpointing: The northern half of the front of building will have the grout/mortar replaced. The other half was done last summer. This will help water damage that has occurred due to the age of the building.
- Cement Work: Various spots around the building.
- Parking Lot Resurface: North lot
- Tennis Courts Resurface
Projects like these (and others throughout the district) are made possible due to the passage of PPEL: Physical Plant & Equipment Levy. Thank you to the voters of Cedar Rapids that helped make this possible.
The Dows Contest is a great way for Franklin students to showcase their talent in writing or art and earn prizes for exceptional work. The contest ran from March 30th to May 1st, 2015. This is a yearly event at Franklin and is made possible by the Dows Family Trust administered thru the Greater Cedar Rapids Foundation.
Congratulations to all our participants this year for their extraordinary submissions we received. Follow the link to view the pictures: http://franklin.cr.k12.ia.us/activities/dows-contest/
Middle School Change of Hours
- The first and last day of school is unchanged for middle school. The 11:15am dismissal on the last day is to accommodate the 8th grade awards ceremonies.
- The regular school day has been lengthened by 10 minutes per day. This will decrease the chance of snow make-up hours this year. We are allowed to “bank” these minutes against snow days that may occur.
- The number of District Early Dismissal Days has been reduced this year. There were 12 District Early dismissal days in 2014-15. Next year, there will be four.
- Middle School Early Dismissal Days are new for 2015-16. The middle schools will be modeling a system used at Jefferson High School for several years. From 2:15pm-3:30pm on Wednesdays, teachers will meet in collaborative groups to discuss curriculum, teaching techniques, and how to best meet the needs of individual students. In the education world, we call these meetings PLC (Professional Learning Community) meetings.
8th Grade Awards Assembly
8th Grade Student Message
To read the entire speech click on the link below:
8th Grade Award Winners
Engineering Technology Awards
Maci Buresh & Brayden Wright
Leonardo da Vinci Awards
Audrey Fashimpaur & Cael Joens
State Math Counts Team
Laura Shook, Miguel Jacobo, Phoebe Niemuth, Cael Joens, Zachery Johansen
Elizabeth Day Award