By Kelsey Grove
My Definition of Body Image and Beauty
Having good body image is being able to look in the mirror and being happy with yourself. Beauty comes with good body image.
Body image is shaped by the media and the result are "perfect" men and women. The male models are always buff, but in reality not all men are going to have muscles like that. The female models are all dangerously skinny, but that's unhealthy and not even close to attractive. All people you see in the media are photo shopped, so you cannot achieve those looks to begin with. Today's youth sees these impossible standards and try to achieve them leaving everyone with poor body image and poor confidence. Just don't judge people because the media is already doing that and you probably don't look like that either.
- In 2014, 286,254 breast augmentations were done.
- In 2014, 206,509 eyelid lifts were preformed.
- Overall, 15,622,866 cosmetic surgeries were preformed in 2014.
- That is a 111% increase since 2000.
- Americans spent more than 12 billion dollars on cosmetic surgery in 2014.
- Cosmetic surgery in men has increased in 43% over the past 5 years.
- Liposuction, Breast Augmentation, Eyelid surgery, Tummy Tuck, Nose Surgery were the top 5 procedures in 2014 for men and women.
- Blepharoplasty, male breast reduction, and facelifts have been becoming more common for men since 2010.
- Men had more than 1 million cosmetic procedures, 10% of the total.
- Women had more than 9.6 million cosmetic procedures, 90% of the total.
5 Pieces of Advise for a Better Body Image
- Just ignore the media; its standards are impossible to reach without the magic of Photoshop.
- Keep a list of things that you like about yourself.
- Treat yourself right- relax, take a nap.
- Wear clothing that is comfortable and makes you feel good.
- Surround yourself with positive people.
Be happy with your body and work what your momma gave ya !