Self-Paced Professional Development Course
How can I use it to enhance & transform my classroom?
Things to Read and Watch
Like many things, Smore has both free and paid subscriptions. You are limited to 5 flyers on the free plan. Their educator prices are pretty good!
Southwest Parke teachers... you are always welcome to pay out of pocket! ;) If you want a corporation paid subscription, you must request it during open windows. The cost will be covered through your students' class fees. Watch your email and Google Classroom for announcements of this once-a-year opportunity to request a subscription.
The content that follows will teach you more about using Smore.
Click here to adjust important settings.
Your school account is a PRO account. Please turn OFF:
This is a shortened version of the link to your flyer - the one you'll want to share with students. Click the icon at the end of the URL to copy it to your clipboard.
- Smore Branding and Related Flyers. This will keep some distracting (and potentially inappropriate) content from appearing.
- Public - You can change to Private if you don't want other people to be able to find your flyer.
- Anything else you don't want showing up on your flyer.
- If using a template, replace template text [in brackets] or old text with your own text by simpling clicking and typing!
- Add new text fields as needed.
- video demo
Adding Files - PDF's, PPT, Audio (MP3), etc.
To include files in your lesson (PDF's, PPT, MP3's, etc.), you'll need to:
- upload them into Google Drive
- make sure the share settings are set to "anyone with the link" and giving the permission the students need to have (view, comment, edit)
**TIP** If you're going to be doing this a lot, you might want to make a Google Drive folder and set the folder's share settings to "anyone with the link can view". Then all the files you place in this folder will have those settings automatically and you will only have to do that step once!
- copy the share link and add it as a link in your lesson
- this is shown in the adding links video demo below
- linking to a website
- linking to files in Google Drive
- video demo
Creating & Adding An Audio Recording
You won't be able to directly insert an audio file in Smore unless you use SoundCloud (which isn't free). You'll need to store your audio file in Google Drive and link to it.
- Use Online Voice Recorder to make your audio recording.
- Save it to your computer - note... this is a two step save. You'll have to click "Save", let it process the recording, and then use the "click to save" button that appears to download it to your computer.
- Upload it to Google Drive.
- Adjust the share settings so that anyone with the link can view.
- Place the link to your recording file in your lesson.
Creating and Adding Your Own Video
Complete the Screencast-O-Matic Opportunity Course to learn how to make your own screencast or video recordings using this free tool.
Embedding a Google Form
Your Educator account now allows your students to create their own private Smore flyers, viewable by only you and their classmates. This would be great for research projects as an alternative to a report or slideshow, for Genius Hour endeavors, or to create student portfolios.
Check out the video and link below to learn more.
- Smore eLearning Template (if you are signed into your SWP Smore account, you'll find a button to make a copy to edit)
- Kindergarten ELA
- 6th Grade Math
- 6th Gr. PE Lesson
Helpful Links & Info