Seawell Peek At the Week
February 12, 2023
At Seawell We Value All...We Are Committed to All...Believe in All...and Lead with the Heart!!!
This past week was National School Counseling week. This is a time when we have leaned heavily on the skills, supports and leadership of our very own school counselor, Ms. Tonya Jackson. She is a cornerstone of positive energy and support for our entire learning community. Small groups, one on ones, conflict resolution and individualized check-ins are all a part of the work that she does effortlessly. We enjoyed celebrating her this week!!!
This month we are once again celebrating Black History Month. Classes are participating in Read-Ins with special guests, virtual author visits, research and so much more. The purpose is to celebrate the past and present contributions of African Americans.
The character trait for February is INTEGRITY- it means having the strength to act justly and honestly even if others do not. It also means to do the right thing even when no one is looking/watching. Here is a choice board with activities you can use.
Seawell Angel Project!
Support Seawell’s new ART MURALS! **Update: We are over halfway there to meet this goal - thanks to your generosity!!***
Add Hope, Color + Inspiration to our front wall (drop-off spot)!
We need YOUR help getting started on this mural and others around school!
Please donate $20, 40, 60+ Anything helps for needed painting supplies!
Bonus: Extra funds will roll over into the Art Department
to support much-needed art supplies + create the 5th Grade Legacy Project.
It’s a Win-Win!
For more details and to donate:
Or Venmo: Daria-Mace (Volunteer artist + mother of a 4th Grader at Seawell)
NEWS FROM THE PTA
Join the PTA for just $10 per person or sponsor a Seawell teacher or staff member for only $5 by clicking on the MemberHub link. As a PTA member there is no obligation to attend the PTA meetings or volunteer. We welcome other family members too, such as grandparents, to become PTA members, too!
Volunteer with the PTA! There are several vacant positions We are still looking for members of the yearbook committee and would love some volunteers! If interested in volunteering, please send an email to email@example.com.
Global Traditions Night is a fun time for families to come together to learn about the cultures represented at Seawell. We are currently looking for families to represent their country/culture at Global Traditions night on April 18th from 5:30-7:30pm. This event cannot happen without your help. Please sign up at the link below to volunteer. More information on other ways to help as well as details about the event are on the form.
Thank you to everyone who joined us for our last Seawell Family Night on the Town at The Loop. Thank you to our friends at The Loop for their generous donation to the Seawell PTA. Our next event will be at Jade Palace on Thursday, Feb. 23. Jade Palace is only offering take outs and delivery at this time. Dine in is closed due to the incomplete renovation. Please consider pre-ordering ahead of time from their website http://www.jadepalacerestaurant.com/. Jade Palace is located at 103 E Main St. in Carrboro.
- Let's get the Seawell community together on March 18, 2023 for the Public School Foundation 5K for Education! This event brings together members of the entire Chapel Hill-Carrboro school district. The Seawell PTA is looking for a teacher or parent representative to help promote the event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. If you’d like to run or walk with your family, please register for the event here.
SES COVID-19 Cases
CHCCS encourages eligible students and staff to get an updated COVID-19 booster. The updated bivalent booster is now available for people 12 and older (two months after they finish their primary series or any booster dose). It offers the most up-to-date protection against the latest Omicron variants. The booster, like all COVID-19 vaccines, is safe to get alongside your annual flu vaccine. The CDC also recommends a third dose for children 5 to 11 who have compromised immune systems. Click on these links for vaccination locations and more information on COVID-19 boosters
Families, please be sure to follow the following guidelines :
- Masks: In general, CHCCS remains a mask-recommended, but optional district. Masks continue to be provided for students and staff upon request. Exceptions to this protocol are outlined on our website as well as the below paragraph about COVID-19 positive staff/students.
- Also: Schools will no longer require masking in the entire building when there are clusters of 5+ positive cases in a small group or a cumulative total of 15+ positive cases in a school. More on this below.
- Symptomatic Staff/Students - Will be required to provide*:
- A negative PCR COVID-19 test, or
- 2 negative Antigen (Rapid) tests separated 24 hours apart in order to return to work/school, or
- An alternative diagnosis from a primary care provider.
- *This is not for individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19. This is to prove that the COVID-like symptoms being experienced are not COVID-19. Individuals who choose not to test for COVID-19 or get an alternative diagnosis from their primary care provider are required to follow the COVID-19 positive staff/students guidance.
- COVID-19 positive Staff/Students - Must quarantine for 5 days and can return on day 6 as long as they are free of vomiting, diarrhea, and fever without the use of medication and all COVID-19 like symptoms are improving (they do not need to be resolved). The individual needs to continue to wear a mask at work/school while indoors for an additional 5 days after returning. Please contact your school nurse for additional information and guidance on returning to work/school.
February 13 - Teacher Workday
March 3 - Progress Reports Go Home
March 17 - Student Dance
Pre-K Registration January 17-March 17
Open Enrollment Period is now (January 17 - March 17)
Pre-K Application 2023-24 - English can be submitted:
Via email - email@example.com
In-Person via scheduling appointment - Pre-K Application Appointment
Lost and Found: Lonely Jackets @ Seawell ES
This section will now periodically highlight clothing items found around our campus so that parents can alert their children to reclaim what was once lost! All clothing/items pictured can be found in the Lost and Found section of our cafeteria.
Mr. Kenny from Smith Middle, along with two former Seahawks came to talk about Chorus and band options for our fifth grade classes!!!
Second graders worked hard on creating culture posters to teach others about traditions related to their personal culture. We celebrate diversity at Seawell!!!
Mr. Kwame Mbalia, author, was our virtual visitor in Ms. Townsend's third grade classroom this week as well. "His debut middle-grade novel, TRISTAN STRONG PUNCHES A HOLE IN THE SKY was awarded a Coretta Scott King Author Honor, and it—along with the sequels TRISTAN STRONG DESTROYS THE WORLD and TRISTAN STRONG KEEPS PUNCHING—is published by Rick Riordan Presents/Disney-Hyperion."https://www.kwamembalia.com/
SEAWELL LIBRARY FALL/WINTER NEWSLETTER
Seawell Library - Call for Specific Title Donations
The Seawell Library is accepting donations of the following titles at this time:
Diary of a Wimpy Kid (any)
Dog Man series (any)
Cat Kid series (any)
Bad Guys (any)
Wings of Fire Graphic Novels (any)
Dork Diaries (any)
Rainbow Magic Fairies series (any)
Pusheen the Cat
Babysitters Club Graphic Novels (any)
Please ensure the books are in good condition (they need to be able to be circulated as library books so they need some life left in them). You may drop them off in the front office and please label them for the Seawell Library.
Please note that we are not accepting donations of any other materials at this time. Our hearts are big but our library is small!
Please call Seawell at 919.967.4343 ext 33200 or email Evelin Escobar firstname.lastname@example.org to report absences and tardies.
Educational leave for students must be requested at least ten days in advance utilizing this form.