Lion's Den News
Words from your Principal
We are off to a great start!
The first thing I need to let you know is there has been a time change for all elementary
students. Beginning September 3, 2019, students will attend school from 7:50-2:40. Please
make sure you are aware of the time change and that your student is picked up on time. If your student is a day-care rider, please inform them of the new dismissal time. When you notice the day care vans and buses have left the property, the bus line will be open for after-school car-rider dismissal.
I would like to take a minute to explain about the three new curriculum changes for this year.
Due to the RISE Initiative by the Arkansas Department of Education, teachers will be using the
Wilson (phonics) Program with your students. We are, also, introducing a new English
Language Arts curriculum called Wit & Wisdom. For math, we will use Eureka Math. So far, the teachers and students are excited about these new programs.
New this year is the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) Lab. This replaces the computer lab. Students will go to the STEAM Lab once a week for hands-on activities. Coach Dokes is the facilitator for this program.
Volleyball and Flag Football have begun. Students are excited about these after-school
activities. Flyers have already gone home for students to enroll in these activities. Basketball
will begin later in the fall. If you have a student interested in Boys or Girls Basketball, keep a
look out in the backpacks for that information.
Student Council elections will begin the week of September 9th. If your child is interested in
running for an office they must be a 4th or 5th grade student and have contacted Mrs. Skarda
and Ms. Frey. Notices should go home next week for Student Council. Speeches by candidates will be September 9. The students will vote on September 10.
Boy Scout Night is September 12 at 6:30. Interested students need to report to the school
cafeteria for an informational meeting.
Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held Thursday, September 19 from Noon-7:00 pm. There
will not be school for students that day. Scheduling notices will be sent home with your
students. Remember, ALL parents must attend conferences. When the students, parents and
teachers work together, students are successful!
Thank you for all your support!
Sara Logan, Principal
New School Time!
After assessing transportation issues during the first week of school, the district has adjusted school start and end times. The new times will take effect on September 3. Thank you for understanding!
- Elementary: 7:50 a.m.-2:40 p.m.
- Middle: 8:00 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
- High: 8:25 a.m.-3:40 p.m.
- (Note that middle school times did not change.)
Some reminders for drop off in the mornings:
- No parking in the drop off line.
- Do not turn around in a neighbor’s driveway/yard. This is private property.
- Building opens at 7:20. All students will go to the cafeteria or the gym if they arrive at school before 7:40 with a book to read.
- Pedestrians crossing the road have the right away, make sure to stop and let them cross safely.
Words from your PTA President
Have you turned in your PTA Membership yet? It's just $5 dollars! Have you ever wondered what that $5 goes towards? Let me just tell you a few of the items that the PTA has purchased just this school year...
- 1st day of school luncheon for the teachers
- Volleyball net, soccer goals, basketballs, volleyballs, dodge balls
- Hand sanitizer for the lunch room
- Fax/copier machine for the office
- All the copier paper for the entire school
- Walkie-talkies for student pick-up
- And the list will go on for all the things planned and unplanned to purchase for this school year.
You may think, "I can't make it to any of the meetings" and that's okay... We have a new newsletter that will keep you up-to-date with all things going on at LWE.
You may think, "I don't have a lot of money to give" that's okay... Volunteering your time when you are able to is free and so much appreciated!
You may think "I can't volunteer, be at the meetings, or donate lots of money" and all of that is okay, too... We understand! We would still love for you to join our PTA!
PTA is vital at our school. We want you to be a part of our school community, which is filled with moms, dads, grandparents, aunts, uncles, family, and friends just like you. Together, with the staff and teachers, we will all be able to help each student CONNECT, CREATE, and CULTIVATE at Lakewood Elementary.
Sponsor your teacher's and school staff's PTA Membership.
Membership Contest info:
- The first class to reach 100% membership w/teacher included
- Starts on September 3
- Ends on September 27
- Cost is $5 to join
Whole class will get the chance to Silly String their teacher + Smartfood Popcorn & Blow Pop party + extra LWE shirt day
Smartfood Popcorn & Blow Pop party + extra LWE shirt day
80% membership school wide and the kids will get the chance to dunk their PTA President & Vice President in a dunking booth!
If 100% of the school's teachers and staff have a PTA membership, LWE will receive the "Golden Apple Award" from PTA of Arkansas.
PTA welcomes the staff
If you are able to help act as a crossing guard, please contact Mrs. Logan at (501)771-8270 or email@example.com
If you plan on volunteering with the school, work with kids in the classroom, or go on field trips you need to do a background check. A new one must be filled out each year. Please fill out the form and return it to school:
Uniform Drive Update
Do You Know - How to eat lunch with your child?
A BLIZZARD of books are headed your way at the
Arctic Adventure Book Fair!
Friday, September 20
This is also Grandparent's Day!
The fair will be open during lunch only, 10:30 - 1:00
Monday, September 23
Wednesday, September 25, 5:00 - 7:00 (POP in for good Books)
Open every day 7:30 - 3:00
Closes on Friday, September 27th
Meet the Kindergarten Teachers
The future of the world is in my classroom today.
- Ivan Welton Fitzwater -
- Kindergarten Teacher
- She has been a teacher for 11 years and this is her first year at Lakewood.
- Favorite Drink: Dr. Pepper
- Favorite snack: Cashews and Chocolate
- Proudest accomplishment: Her children
- Birthday: May 7
- Favorite quote: "It's okay not to know, but it's not okay to not try!"
- Kindergarten Teacher
- She has been a teacher for 12 years and this is her 6th year at Lakewood.
- Favorite Drink: Coke or vanilla Latte
- Favorite snack: Popcorn
- Proudest accomplishment: My husband and children. My husband and I just celebrated our 10th anniversary and I am so proud that I get to be a mom to my two precious children, Ezra and Cruz.
- Birthday: October 12
- Favorite Quote: "Only where children gather is there any real chance of fun." -Mignon McLaughlin
- Kindergarten Teacher
- She started her career as a teacher 2 years ago at Lakewood elementary.
- Favorite drink: Diet Dr. Pepper
- Favorite snack: Extra Toasty Cheez-its
- Proudest accomplishment: "My students know I love them"
- Birthday: November 11th
- Favorite quote: "Enjoy the little things in life."
- Kindergarten teacher
She has been a teaching for 24 years and has been at Lakewood for 18 years.
Favorite Drink: Sonic Coke
Favorite Snack: Chex Mix
Proudest accomplishment: "I am most proud of my family. I am proud to know that I am married to the husband God chose for me, and that He has blessed us with four wonderful children."
Birthday: July 20
Favorite Quote: "Always do YOUR best work."
- Instructional Assistant
- She has been a paraprofessional for 13 years and has been with Lakewood for four sweet years.
- Favorite drink: Sweet T with Lemon or Dr. Pepper
- Favorite snack: White chocolate Resses
- Proudest accomplishment: "Being a wife and mom while working in education."
- Birthday: March 4th
- Favorite quote: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." and "God is so good"
- Instructional Assistant
- She has been paraprofessional for 27 years and with Lakewood the whole time.
- Favorite drink: water
- Favorite snack: Lay's potato chips (plain)
- Proudest accomplishment: "Reading through the Bible within a year."
- Birthday: January 30
- Favorite quote: "You can do it!"
Save the Date
Kindergarten Teddy Bear Day
General PTA Meeting
Please join us to learn about the new things to come!
Parent / Teacher Conferences
Student Council Speeches: September 9
Student Council Voting: September 10
Join Boy Scouts Night: September 12, 6:30
Kindergarten Teddy Bear Day: September 13
General PTA Meeting: September 16
Parent/Teacher Conferences: September 19
Grandparents Day: September 20
Book Fair: September 23 - 27
Family Night at the Book Fair: September 25
Vision/Hearing for Students: K, 1, 2, 4: October 1
Walk to School Day: October 2
End of First Nine Weeks: October 11
Fit to Live: October 20
North Little Rock Board of Education
- The next regular board meeting is September 19th, 5:30-7
Board minutes for the previous meeting(s) are inside the agenda document for the upcoming meeting. This may make it difficult for parents to track agenda items that have been approved, tabled, or rejected.
The document in the link includes the following:
- Agenda for 8/15: Regular Board Meeting
- Minutes for 7/18: Regular Board Meeting
- Minutes for 7/22: Special Board Meeting
- Minutes for 8/1: Special Board Meeting
- Presentations and reports for 8/15 Regular Board Meeting