AVID Syllabus 2015-2016
Course Objectives and Student Responsibilities
1. Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA in achievement and satisfactory citizenship and attendance in all classes.
2. Maintain enrollment in honors classes.
3. Maintain an AVID three-ring binder with agenda/planner, Cornell notes, tutorial sheets, and a pencil pouch with requested supplies.
4. Take Cornell notes and/or learning logs in all academic classes.
5. Complete all homework assignments and commit to at least two hours of homework EVERY night.
6. Participate in AVID tutorials every Tuesday and Thursday.
7. Participate in AVID field trips and activities.
- Fully charged Lenovo Thinkpad
- One three-ring binder
- loose paper/composition notebook
- ear buds (one pair will be sufficient for all classes)
- Stylus (optional)
Collaborative Activities - tutorials, team building activities, Socratic Seminars, philosophical chairs, etc.: 20%
Writing Activities - quick writes, essays, projects, etc. : 20%
Reading Activities - AVID Weekly articles, FSA Practice Articles, etc.: 20%
Reflection Activities - learning logs, reflections, etc.: 20%
Organization Activities - binder checks, Cornell notes, planners, etc.: 20%
Classroom Rules, Procedures, and Consequences
- Follow directions quickly.
- Raise your hand when you want to talk.
- Raise your hand when you want to walk.
- Make SMART decisions.
- Keep your dear teacher happy. (To meet this rule, refer to numbers 1-4.)
- When you arrive to the room, line up against the wall.
- Remove closed Lenovo from backpack.
- Lenovo remains closed until you are seated in the room.
- Once in the room, place backpacks in the blue box.
- Sit and remain seated unless you have permission to move (Rule #3).
- Bell work must be completed within the first 7 minutes of class.
- Sign in to the classroom's LanSchool.
- Only OCPS approved apps and websites are used.
- Only two hallway passes per marking period.
- The bell is my indicator that I must dismiss you. So, remain seated until dismissed.
- When engaging in traditional and digital dialogue, THINK! If the answer for every question is not YES, then you should not say it:
- is it True?
- is it Helpful?
- is it Inspiring?
- is it Necessary?
- is it Kind?
- First offense - warning with parent notification.
- Second offense - lunch detention with parent notification.
- Third offense - discipline referral with parent notification.
**NOTE** sometimes events occur that are more severe and require immediate action. In those cases, steps 1 and 2 will be skipped and a discipline referral will be written.