MCCGA CG Education
Welcome and Introduction
This is the first of what will be a monthly newsletter sent from me to our membership. In each newsletter you can expect to hear from our board members, including a blurb from each of our RCC's, an update on the goings on in the MCCGA and WGI communities, and educational opportunities and tips from our instructional community. If you have something you feel you can contribute, or would like to share, I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Here's to another exciting season!
Color Guard Education Director
Summer Meeting Recap
- Duane Williams, President, shared a presentation celebrating the growth and success of our circuit membership during the 2018 season.
- Maxine Sullivan, Treasurer, presented a report of the financial status of the circuit. Thanks to her efforts, as well as those of the board and our membership, we are in great shape heading into 2019!
- An update of the 2019 schedule was discussed, but we are unable to finalize show sites and dates until WGI releases their schedule, which should be in the next few weeks.
- Proposals for the 2019 season were presented and voted on by the members present. Each unit from the 2018 season was given one vote. Results can be found on the MCCGA Website at www.mccga.org and in the section below.
- Elections were held for the following positions: President, Public Relations, Color Guard Education Coordinator, Percussion Education Coordinator, Arkansas RCC, Kansas City RCC, Color Guard Advisory Board members, and Percussion Advisory Board members. Results can be seen below.
Special thanks to our hosts, Sherri Peterson, Troy Peterson, Jordan Nimmo, and the parents, staff, and administrators of Kickapoo High School!
Here are the 2018 proposal results for the 2019 season. Proposals can be found in their entirety on the MCCGA Website at www.mccga.org
- Membership Fees - FAILED
- Staff Badges - FAILED
- Championships Seeding - PASSED
- Term Limits for President and Vice President - FAILED
- Chief Percussion Judge - FAILED
- Championships Format - WITHDRAWN
- Percussion Judge Requirements - WITHDRAWN
- Cadet Class at Championships - WITHDRAWN
- Cadet Class Adjudication at Championships - PASSED
- Addition of Scholastic Regional AA Class - WITHDRAWN
- Color Guard Review Process for Promotion - WITHDRAWN
- Festival Attendance Qualification for Championships (Percussion Only) - PASSED
Let's take a look at the two proposals that passed affecting the Color Guard Championships Seeding, and the Cadet Class Adjudication at Championships.
PROPOSAL 3 - Championships Seeding
Arkansas RCC, Brian Dutton, submitted proposal number three which now aligns the MCCGA Championships Seeding Scores with that of WGI's policy. The policy now states that "each unit's seeding score will now be based on the most recent score received by a unit at either a MCCGA festival, or a WGI Regional. This score will be "progressed" by adding 1.5 point per week, throughout the course of the regular season. "
Units attending a prelims/finals format show, including WGI Regionals will be seeded using the highest score of the day.
One other change to this system, is that instead of using the previously utilized "snaking" seeding process will no longer be used. Instead, units will be placed into rounds by placing the highest seed into the last performance spot of the final round, and working backwards. You can see an example of the seeding process below. In the example, 27 units are placed into three rounds with the highest seed placed in the last round, final spot, and working backwards.
Proposal 9 - Cadet Evaluation at Championships
The only other proposal that passed and affects the guard side of our circuit was proposal nine, submitted by Chief Judge, Billy Saccomanno. This proposal seeks to alleviate scheduling difficulties with our championships judging panels by reinstating the process of allowing the MCCGA instructional community to evaluate and celebrate our youngest performers. There will be training offered during the season for anyone interested in being part of this panel.
If you are interested in being part of the evaluation panel for
Cadet Championships, please let me know!
Meet the 2019 MCCGA Board
2019 Season Schedule
- January 26th
- February 2nd
- February 9th
- February 16th
- February 23rd
- March 2nd
- March 9th
- March 16th
- March 23rd
- March 30th - Championships
As soon as the WGI Calendar is released, performance locations and dates will be finalized by the board. We are hoping this can be finished by the first week in July.