August 16, 2022
"Where it's always a good day to be a Bison!"
We were overjoyed to welcome back our students on August 11th. We had 2 wonderful days back. Due to the opening of another 27J school nearby (Southlawn Elementary), our boundaries changed and we do not have the overcrowding we expereinced last year. Our library and science rooms are opened again! The lunchroom is not so crowded and the hallways are manageable. If you are a returning Second Creek family, thank you for your patience last year! We made it!
Now that the overcrowding challenge is over, we are faced with a couple new challenges:
1. Staff - we have 2 teaching positions open: 2nd grade and Preschool. We would love to lower class sizes in 2nd grade but so far we have not been able to secure a candidate. And we are missing a certified PK teacher to start on August 24th. Please spread the word if you know anyone who has a teaching license and wants to join our Bison team! We are also looking for a kindergarten paraprofessional. This is not a certified position.
2. Attendance issues - Covid has created some bad habits for many of us. I spoke about the importance of attendance during our Back-to-School night event. Unfortunately, we started the year with tardies and absent students. Fridays are usually a big day for parents to take their students out early. I have attached the form below with the breakdown of days and minutes missed and their cumulative affect on students' learning. Please make coming to school everyday and on time your highest priority! How can we help?
It would not be a normal school year without challenges... and just like any other year, we are here to serve the Second Creek community everyday in spite of challenges we face. Please partner with us to make this school year our best yet!
I hope you enjoy the quick video below. The first part shows our leadership team welcoming staff back as superheroes. Then we have pictures from teachers who share their fun activities with me for the week. We also have footage of the staff during our second annual Second Creek Olympics. This happened right before back-to-school night! At Second Creek, we believe in the healthy balance of hard work and fun!
Thank you for sharing your children with us!
Daily Morning Schedule
Please check out our every day morning schedule below (starting on August 16th):
7:30am - doors open for all breakfast eaters - please use the side cafeteria doors for this
7:35am - Doors open for all students - breakfast is still being served
7:45am - First bell
7:50am - Instruction in the classroom starts
In order to eat breakfast and make it to class on time, please help your student arrive at 7:30am. Students can enter through the side cafeteria doors and start breakfast right away!
Preschool and Kindergarten Playground
Please help us be good neighbors!
Soft Start - what is it?
We urge you to take advantage of this time. Bring your student to Second Creek on time in the morning and help students start the day successfully!
Soft Start for all students starts Tuesday, August 16th.
Coffee with the Principal
Please join Ms. Marlatt for a cup of coffee and good conversation!
When: August 26th from 8am to 9am
Where: Second Creek Teacher's Lounge (please check in at the office)
PTO-Sponsored Outdoor Movie Night!
Ole Soccer Stars
If you are a returning family to Second Creek, you know our parking lot is small and needs special care during morning drop off and afternoon pick up. Thank you for contributing to the overall safety of our staff and students!
If you are a new family to Second Creek, please read the information below carefully. Staff (and sometimes Commerce City police) are out during morning drop off and afternoon dismissal to make sure everyone is safe.
Parents, it is very important that we do not park on the bus lane before or after school. Blocking the bus causes delays that go beyond our school.
Here are a few reminders about our drop off and pick up procedures. You know that Commerce City police pops in once in a while and issue tickets to vehicles that are not following our safety rules... so please make sure you are doing what you can do keep our students and staff safe!
- No parked cars in the "no parking zone" - which is by the sidewalk from the beginning of the parking lot all the way to the front doors. This is a fire lane and also a bus lane. There is NO PARKING anytime. Only drop off or pick up. We have noticed many cars parked waiting for the school to open in the morning, blocking the bus and causing lines of cars that go all the way outside the parking lot. Please drop off your student and go - no parking.
- Same rules apply for pick up after school.
- Students can be dropped off at 7:30am for breakfast eaters and 7:35am for non breakfast eaters. We do not have supervision for students who are dropped off before these times.
- Students must be picked up at 3:30pm every day. We do not have staff to supervise students after school.
- Let us know if you need information about our before and after-school program.
- Please only use the handicap parking if you have a handicap license.
- The Staff of the Month parking is for staff only at all times.
- PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN FRONT OF DRIVEWAYS!
We appreciate your cooperation!
A shout out to our sponsors!
The Landing Place Church
The Landin Place Church has donated brand new playground equipment to our student. They have donated our blue safety vests that staff wears. They gave also donated goodies and burritos to feed all of our staff.