The McKelvey Messenger
October 9, 2020
A Note From Mrs. Lackey
One of my very first principals in Parkway used to say that the only one who appreciated change was a baby with a wet diaper. Change is hard. It is also inevitable. And this season of the year, it can even be beautiful. As we prepare for the upcoming change among classes and teachers, we are all a little anxious. It feels like we are approaching the first day of school all over again. But we encourage you to face it with the same energy and enthusiasm as we did back in August. Our teamwork as parents, teachers, and leaders will be critical to our success! As educators, we know the power of modeling for children the actions or reactions we desire. We know that "more is caught than taught." It will be important to support one another and to present a positive message to our children. If they join a new class on October 22nd, they will make new friends and have one more person to love and care for them, another talented teacher to help them learn and grow. We can do this! Take advantage of the long weekend as a time to relax, refresh, and enjoy the fall colors. We'll look back one day in awe of "that year" we survived and thrived during a worldwide pandemic.
Have a beautiful weekend!
- October 13-16 - Distance learning for all students with their current teachers
- October 13 - Families who selected in-person learning will receive notification of their assignment to Group 1 or Group 2 for the transition days of October 22-November 6
- October 16 - McKelvey's final day of live instruction in 1st quarter classes
- October 19 - All families receive their child's teacher assignment for the remainder of the year
- October 19-21 - All asynchronous learning days for McKelvey. *Important note: this is different from other Parkway schools. There will be NO live instruction for McKelvey students on these 3 days. Please plan ahead. Due to the delay in opening McKelvey Primary, we appreciate your cooperation as we prepare to have all K-5 in-person students at the intermediate building. Lessons and activities will be provided by your children's current 1st quarter teachers, and families are invited to complete them at times that are convenient for you and your children. Thank you for your support and flexibility!
- October 21 - McKelvey Welcome Tours will be scheduled throughout the day for in-person kindergarteners and new in-person students in grades 1-5. Some of our students have never been inside our school! *more information coming via email to new families
- October 22-November 6 - Virtual campus students receive daily live instruction; in-person students transition using the hybrid model
- November 9 - All in-person students begin attending school 5 days a week
Important Information for Families Staying Virtual
- Virtual Campus hours are 8:30am-3:30pm
- Virtual learning with newly assigned classes and teachers begins on October 22.
- If the final district-wide staffing of virtual campus results in a change to a teacher in another Parkway school, whether a classroom teacher or specialist, families will be notified in advance to ease this transition for students.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR FAMILIES RETURNING IN PERSON
- McKelvey Elementary school hours will be 9:05am-4:05pm
- Group 1 comes to McKelvey on Oct 22, Oct 27, Oct 29, Nov 2, Nov 5
- Group 2 comes to McKelvey on Oct 23, Oct 28, Oct 30, Nov 4, Nov 6
- Learning on the alternate days will be asynchronous only
- Daily in-person learning for all students begins on Monday, November 9
- Details regarding arrival, dismissal, and daily schedules will follow (hopefully by 10/16)
- School lunch will be available as usual, but children are welcome to bring their lunch
- To protect the safety of all students and staff, visitors (including parents and guardians) will not be permitted during school hours. Sorry.
Hi McKelvey families!
Ask we prepare for the return to in-person learning, here is a great article about helping your child cope with the transition back to school. As always, we are here to support you and your children through this change.
Please continue to contact your child’s grade level counselor with questions and concerns by using the Counselor Connection Form. Some helpful resources are listed below.
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Behavioral Health Response Crisis Line: 1-800-811-4760
Saint Louis Crisis Nursery: 314-768-3201
Salvation Army: 211 (mortgage, utility bills, clothing, medication bills, etc.)
Have a wonderful fall break!
-McKelvey School Counselors
Tips for Returning to School
Hope all of you folks are able to get out and get some fresh air - while socially distancing - this long weekend. It is so important to take care of yourselves during these unusual and sometimes stressful times. Sometimes even just a walk around the block is enough to get you going and thinking about the changing seasons.
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about making sure your children are practicing wearing their face masks at home in preparation for returning to school. This week I want to mention working with your children in opening items that may be in their lunches if they are bringing their lunches to school. There will be staff present during lunch times to help, but if our students can open their own lunch items, this will lessen contact with helping adults and get them started eating right away.
For families who have opted for virtual learning, I want to let you know that I will still be your children’s school nurse. You can still call with any questions, updates, or concerns. We want to keep their health information up to date and still be there for your families.
Flu shots clinics will not be offered at the schools this year. We strongly encourage your family to receive the flu vaccine this year either from your personal physician, a clinic, the county health department, pharmacies, and more. Call or email me if you are not able to find a location.
Have a wonderful weekend.
A Family Experience Focused on Race, Resistance, and Resilience
Panera/St. Louis Bread Co. Fundraiser
Tuesday, Oct. 13th, 4-8pm
15 Progress Parkway
Maryland Heights, MO
PTO Fun Run & Shirt Pick-up
If you registered to participate in next Saturday's Virtual Fun Run, t-shirt pickup is this Thursday, October 15th at McKelvey from 4-6PM. PTO has tracked your purchase by email. When you pull up to the upper parking lot, please have your email written or typed neatly on a full size piece of paper. We'll use that to retrieve your order.
We cannot wait to see you at t-shirt pickup and in the community next Saturday! If you have questions, please email Greg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access the full PTO Newsletter HERE!
Family Resource Section
Parkway's Elementary Transition Plan (Important Note: October 19-21 is altered for McKelvey)
Getting Started with Chromebooks (Youtube)
More Tips and Tricks for your Chromebook (Youtube)