Mrs. Lyons' Newsletter
Week of October 12, 2015
Mark Your Calendar:
Parent Teacher Conference times were sent home last week. Check your child's folder for your exact conference time. I look forward to visiting with you.
October 13: Book Orders are due. If you'd like to order online, click on the Scholastic link below. Our class code is GKDMT.
October 14: 4H Day at Stagecoach (Wear your class shirt.)
October 15: Fall Pictures
October 16: Awards Assembly at 9:35, Report Cards will go home, and we will have an Early Dismissal at 2:15 for Homecoming.
October 19, 20, & 22: Early Dismissal at 2:15 each day for Parent Teacher Conferences.
October 23: No School
Every Friday: Don't forget your tennis shoes for P.E.
- Spelling: We will begin working on new words this week. Students were given a copy to practice at home to prepare for our test on Friday.
- Reading: This week we will continue reading a fantasy fiction book, The Trumpet of the Swan, by E.B. White. Students are strongly encouraged to read at home every night, even if it is 10 minutes here and there.
- Writing: This week we will continue writing a personal narrative, a story that actually happened.
- Math: We are working on subtraction of multi-digit numbers. For example, students are working problems like 956,204 - 780,169. Feel free to pose problems like this at home and ask your child to check their work using addition. At home, students should be practicing their multiplication facts, especially the 9x tables. Check out www.multiplication.com/games for fun multiplication games. See the button below for a link to the website.
- Social Studies: We will begin studying the regions of the United States.
- Student Planners: Check your child's planner for daily updates on what we are learning. If the assignment is to be done as homework, we will indicate this with HW.