Athens, eye of Greece and mother of arts
5 Super Crazy Interesting Facts
- One of the oldest cities in the world
- First Olympic games
- Home of the Gods
- Olive trees sacred there
- Origin of theater
- Citizens ran the government
- Citizens were free males with land
- The government was a democracy
- Two types of education: formal and informal.
- Formal Education was primarily for men and not offered to slaves.
- Young women would receive informal education from their mother and would be taught to maintain a household for the men.
- The Battle of Marathon
- Athenians against Persians
- Sparta helped fight the war on the Athenians side
Miltiades convinced his generals to attack the Persians, he also ordered the hoplites to form a line in equal length to the Persians and the Athenians won the war.
Every Day Life (culture)
- The Athenians clothing was mainly a tunic
- Theater was often preformed for the gods welcoming them
- Most people would often be farming olives and/or grapes
The Bubonic Plague
- 430 B.C. the Bubonic Plague broke out in Athens
Plague Causes Fever and Painful swollen lymph glands
The word "bubonic" comes from the word "buboes" which is a swollen lymph gland