Third Grade Buzzzz...
Happenings in Mrs. Paluch's Class!
March 28, 2016
Welcome Back!! I hope everyone had a relaxing, enjoyable spring break!
PARCC testing will begin on Wednesday. The sessions this week are on English/Language Arts. Please make sure to have your child get plenty of sleep and a eat a healthy breakfast!
ELA- (English/Language Arts)
Unit 3 Module A
We will be reading the book, Knots on a Counting Rope
Reading Essential Question: How do readers determine the central message, lesson, or moral of a story?
Writing Essential Question: How do writers support a point of view when writing an opinion?
Focus This Week:
- Describe characters and explain how their actions transmit experience.
- Learn how to identify the key details in a text that convey the central message, lesson, or moral of a story.
- Identify different points of view and support these views with text evidence.
Foundational Skills: Irregular Plurals Ex., man/men, child/children, thief/thieves
We will explore and analyze genres of opinion writing. Discuss the elements of strong opinion writing:
- clear statement of topic and opinion
- reasons supported by details, facts and quotations
- organizational structure that groups information in a way that makes sense
- words and phrases that link reasons to the opinion
- concluding statement related to the opinion
Kids will think of a topic they strongly believe about and write their opinion, giving reasons and examples.
- Function of nouns and pronouns
Lessons this week:
- Solve Capacity Problems- milliliters and liters
- Solve Mass Problems- grams and kilograms
- Tell Time to the Minute
Homework This Week
Tuesday 3/29- 11.2
Wednesday 3/30- 11.4
Thursday 3/31 11.5
Below is a link to a good website with a lot of math games! We are currently working on measurement, but they should continue to work on multiplication/division and fractions too!
We are waiting for our next science unit to arrive!
Due to testing for the next two weeks... we will not be doing social studies. We will do ELA during this time!
April 1- Spirit Wear Orders Due
March 30-April 1- PARCC Testing ELA
April 4-7- PARCC Testing Math
April 8- Daddy/Daughter Dance
April 11- Raging Waves Due
April 17- Aurora Skate Family Fun Night 5-7
April 27- 3rd Grade Musical