PROS AND CONS OF NUCLEAR POWER
- Lower carbon dioxide released into theatmosphere in power generation.
- Low operating costs
- Large power-generating capacity able to meet industrial and city needs as opposed to low-power technologies like solar that might meet only local, residential, or office needs but cannot generate power for heavy manufacturing.
- Known, developed technology “ready” for market.
- High construction costs due to complex radiation containment systems and procedures.
- High-known risks in an accident.
- Target for terrorism.
- Nuclear is a centralized power source requiring large infrastructure, investment, and coordination where other sources (including solar and wind) can be more efficient, less costly, and more resilient.
- Waste lasts 200 – 500 thousand years.