To become a dance therapist many say that the person is required to have power of creative therapy. Dance therapists must know a variety of dance programs and also good to study the foundations of a movement therapy, so it possesses knowledge and appreciation for the healing for the healing power of dance.
- Bachelors degree in performing arts (or something similar )
- Masters degree
- Psychology courses
- One masters degree should be from American Dance Therapy Association ( ADTA )
Depending on the credentials, experience, skills, job duties, hours, and location. A higher level of education generally results in a much higher salary. Average of dance/movement therapists generally ranged close to $60,000-$70,000 a year, some might even earn up to $85,000-$95,000 a year or more.
- Courage-takes courage to dance in a room full of clients
- Body Awareness- being aware of our bodies and others around us
- Mindfulness- helps while being in the present
- Flexibility- body/mind processing
- Kindness- helps a lot while interacting with your clients
- Oral communication skills
- Creative problem solving abilities
- Motivation and commitment
- Ability to work independent
- Ability to learn quickly
Becoming a dancer consists of being able to show many emotions through dancing. For example you can show it through ballet, hip-hop, and modern dance.
Professional dancers undergo many years of intensive training through private classes and schooling.Also dance programs, including bachelor's and master's degree programs are needed.
In 2002, the median annual income of dancers was $21,100. The middle 50% received between $14,570 and $34,660. The lowest 10% received less than $12,880, the highest 10% received more than $53,350
- Physical strength
- Active listening- giving full attention to what others are saying
- Coordination-Adjusting actions in relation to others actions.
- Monitoring- monitoring yourself and other individuals
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Dancing is moving. Therefore, your subjects move around most of the time. You need to know how to focus well. And there for you need to be able to move quickly and have a camera that can capture the moment at the right time.
While photography classes are available at many 2-year institutions, a bachelor's degree in photography provides the best training for someone who is serious about becoming a dance photographer. A high school diploma or something equivalent is needed.
Projected Job Growth (2012-2022)* = 4%
Median Salary (2013)*= $29,280
- dedicated to the craft of photography
- You need to be a story teller.
- Patience....a lot of if
- Ambitious nature
- Mind for business
- People person
- Technical skills