The Word on Third
Third Grade Newsletter - January 12, 2020
January 20 - Martin Luther King Day
January 21 - Hop Doddy Spirit Night for OC Taylor
January 25 - Snow Day with OC Taylor Dads
January 31 - Talent Show, 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.
February 4 - 100th Day of School
February 7 - Sock Hop 6:30 p.m.
February 14 - Valentine's Day, Class parties at 2:00 p.m., Registration opens for Math Telescoping, details coming soon.
February 17 - No School for students, Teacher Professional Development Day
February 19 - Grades 3-5 Student-Led Conferences 4:00-5:00 p.m.
February 25 - Spring Picture Day, Class photo
February 27 - Game On
March 2 - Read Across America Day
March 5 - Wax Museum, Portrait of a Graduate Night, 6:30 p.m.
March 9-13 Spring Break
March 16 - Students return to school
March 20 - End of 3rd Quarter
March 23 - World Water Day, Wear blue
March 28 - Spring Fling 2:00-6:00 p.m.
The most important things...
- Please be sure to turn in any and all permission slips. If you won an auction, those were sent home from the awesome PTA so that your child can stay after school for an event. If you sold a certain number of items for the Big Kahuna Fundraiser those were to attend the party bus, and everyone received one to opt in or out of the Play It Safe presentation happening on the 23rd.
- Please check the weather in the mornings. We are in one of those times of year where the weather can change very quickly. We go outside if it is above 38 degrees. Please make sure that your child is prepared for the chilly days that still lie ahead.
Highlights of the Week
- In Reading Workshop we read nonfiction stories with an emphasis on having great conversations and reading for information.
- We continued working on our informational (expository) writing.
- We picked an American hero to study for the next couple of weeks for Social Studies.
- In Science we started our unit on energy.
- In Math we started our unit on the application of multiplication and division in word problems.
- We enjoyed seeing each other after a long break.
What we are learning next week...
Writing: Continuing expert topic informational books.
Social Studies: American heroes
Math: Continuing multiplication and division word problem application
Here is the Math and Science Newsletter:
Medical career volunteers STILL needed!
As part of OC Taylor's desire to train our leaders for tomorrow, we are incorporating careers into our curriculum. For January the health sciences are the focus. We are looking for volunteers from the medical field and anything related to it, to come and do a Health Sciences Rotation with us. There would be one professional in each of the third grade rooms. You would do a 15 minute talk and activity with three different classes for a total of 3 presentations. So if you are a doctor of any kind, nurse, pharmacist, physical therapist, or anything related, the link is below to sign up. We hope that you can join us!
GCISD: Lead 2.0
Cross Timbers Middle School has been chosen to be featured on NBC 5'S Brag about your school. There will be a community pep rally to celebrate on Monday! Please find the details through the link.
The instructional calendar for next school year has been approved! If you would like to see the dates for the 2020-2021 school year please click below.