JMS Weekly Update
November 1, 2020
Dear JMS Families,
Monday is the beginning of Quarter 2. We are excited to welcome our students who have switched learning models to their new learning environment, whether it be at home or at JMS.
Your child will also begin their Q2 Unified Arts class on Monday. Clever should sync the class meeting link automatically. However, the UA teachers have emailed all of their new students to introduce themselves and to share the class meeting link via email, just in case!
As COVID-19 cases continue to rise in the area, please help us keep everyone at JMS safe.
- Wear a mask
- Physically distance (6ft or more)
- Avoid congregating in groups
- Wash your hands
- Complete the self-screening before coming to school
- Stay home if you are sick
We appreciate your help with this endeavour. We are enjoying having the children back in the building and we would like to be able to keep them here!
This week's update contains new information about the following:
- Q2 Transition to Hybrid/Cyber
- Q2 Unified Arts Rotation Switch/Class Link
- School Picture Ordering Information
Please reach out to myself or Ms. Deet if you have any questions.
Dr. Sarah Shaw, Principal
Ms. Katelyn Deet, Assistant Principal
Q2 Transition Hybrid/Cyber
Students who are learning remotely will continue to log into their classes as they have been when they are working from home.
Students who will be attending JMS will follow their cohort schedule:
- Monday/Tuesday - Cohort A - Last Name A-L
- Thursday/Friday - Cohort B - Last Name M-Z
Students who are new to the hybrid model should have received an email from their school counselor that shared information about how to arrive at JMS on Monday or Thursday.
Q2 Unified Arts Rotation Switch (Academic Lab, Art, BIT, FCS, Health, Tech Ed)
Students will be starting a new Unified Arts Rotation on Monday. Clever should update automatically with your child's new class meeting link. In an effort to provide the children with a seamless transition into their new class their teacher has also sent them an email introducing themselves and sharing the link to their class meeting.
School pictures have been uploaded to our photographer's website for ordering. Please visit Wayne's World of Photography to order your photos. Detailed instructions for how to do this are below. The company offers retakes if eyes are closed, glasses have glare, or hair is blown in the face. If you have any additional questions about orders or retakes, please contact Wayne Bratten at 412-257-1506. To view and order your photos:
- Visit Wayne's World of Photography.
- Click on "Schools" and then "Jefferson Middle School".
- Enter your student's MTLSD 7 digit ID number. (This number can be found on dashboard in the Student Information section.)
- Complete "student information" section.
- Complete your purchase online.
Orders that are completed by 11:59 pm on Friday November 6th will be delivered to the school with no shipping charges. Orders placed November 7th or later will incur a shipping charge.
Picture Day Make-Up/Retakes - 11/9, 11/11, 11/13
Make-up pictures and retakes are scheduled for following dates:
- Cohort A: Monday, November 9th
- Cyber: Wednesday, November 11th from 3:15pm-4:15pm
- Cohort B: Friday, November 13th
Please contact Ms. Deet with any questions.
JMS Yearbooks are on sale now through January 1, 2021. We will be working throughout the year to collect pictures from the children who are working at home. If you have pictures that you would like to share with the yearbook, please email them to Ms. Beckett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday, November 1 at 12:00 AM-Friday, January 1 at 11:59 PM: $45
Limited extras will be sold on the last day of school for $50. 8th Grade Advertisements are also for sale from now until January 1 for $30. Order your yearbook and take out an 8th grade ad TODAY! yearbookforever.com
Resources For Families
The MTLSD School Counselors in partnership with The Allegheny Children's Initiative Inc., have compiled a list of social services resources that may be helpful to you and your family. Please take a look and reach out to these organizations. They are here to help with any of the following:
- Mental Health
- General Assistance
Safe2Say Something is a youth violence prevention program run by the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. The program teaches youth and adults how to recognize warning signs and signals, especially within social media, from individuals who may be a threat to themselves or others and to “say something” BEFORE it is too late. With Safe2Say Something, it’s easy and confidential to report safety concerns to help prevent violence and tragedies.
Here’s how it works:
- Submit a report through the Safe2SaySomething system
- Crisis center reviews, assesses and processes all submissions
- Crisis center sends all submissions to school administration and/or law enforcement for intervention
- If needed, crisis center may contact tipster anonymously through the app
We are excited to announce that we are now offering the convenience of online registration for our athletic programs through partner company, FamilyID (www.familyid.com). FamilyID is a secure registration platform that provides you with an easy, user-friendly way to register for our programs, and helps us to be more administratively efficient and environmentally responsible. When you register through FamilyID, you enter your information once for multiple uses, multiple kids and multiple programs.
As we prepare to start the 2020-2021 school year, we are asking families who need to borrow student technology to please complete the form linked below:
Be sure to list every student for whom you need to borrow a device on this form. Once you have submitted your form, you will receive status emails including device pickup details from an @mtlsd.net email address. Please also be sure to whitelist @mtlsd.net email addresses with your email provider to ensure that you receive these communications from us.
Please direct any and all questions regarding loaned equipment to our support address: RemoteSupport@mtlsd.net
JMS PTA Information
JMS PTA membership drive is still open. JMS is working with the faculty to identify creative virtual ideas to replace or support typical PTA-funded field trips and special events. We remain committed to PTA special events for our families and students, even in an unusual year.
Family dues have been reduced this year to $15, to minimally meet our budget commitments and to cover national and state dues and fees associated with the organization. We have included an option to make a donation, 100% of which goes to JMS PTA-supported activities.
Membership includes one vote per household at PTA meetings, inclusion in the Membership Directory, and PTA Newsletters. Families can link a second parent's email to their first at no additional cost or decide to purchase memberships for two parents. Membership Toolkit has a mobile app for your convenience.
You will be prompted to update your family's information, opt in or out of the directory, and update your child's team, optional phone contact info, and the elementary school from which they came.
Please join us!
Help JMS Earn Money While You Shop!
If you haven’t used AmazonSmile Before:
- Go to smile.amazon.com and sign in with your regular Amazon username and password.
- You will be prompted to choose a charity. You should enter "Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc” into the search box that appears. It will say "Pittsburgh, PA" as the location for the charity.
- Make sure whenever you check out, you always go to smile.amazon.com on your browser.
If you already use AmazonSmile:
- Go to smile.amazon.com and sign in with your username and password
- Make sure the charity you’ve selected is "Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc." This information is located under the search bar where it says “supporting”.
- If it isn’t, you can change it by clicking on the charity and selecting “change”
- This will bring you to a page where you can search for “Jefferson Middle School PTA Inc” and allow you to switch charities.
- Make sure whenever you check out, you always go to smile.amazon.com to checkout.
- If you shop on the Amazon app. Please activate Amazon Smile on your mobile app by opening the app and finding ’Settings’ in the main menu (☰). Tap on ‘AmazonSmile’ and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile on your phone.
Clipping Box Tops is an easy way to earn money for our school. Each Box Top is worth 10 cents, so don't forget to physically and electronically clip the for us! The clipped Box Tops can be turned into the office.
See Box Tops for more information on how to scan Box Tops and to download the app. Receipts must be scanned within 14 days for the Box Tops to be scanned electronically.
Giant Eagle Support our students! Enroll your Giant Eagle Advantage Card and earn points for FREE educational rewards with every shopping trip.
Click here to register your card. Our school code is 3369. The Giant Eagle card program is also easy to use - just register your card and shop away as usual!
Office Depot/Office Max
Office Depot/Office Max has a school rewards program. When shopping, remember to ask the cashier to tag Jefferson Middle School. For online orders, enter our school ID (Thomas Jefferson Middle School ID:70088453 Pittsburgh, PA) on the Thank You Confirmation page.
Jefferson Middle School
The Jefferson Middle School learning community has an exceptional reputation for its dedicated teachers, staff and parents working together to provide learning experiences for our children that include high expectations, a challenging curriculum and a shared commitment to provide the best education possible for each and every student.