By Bella Harwood
Origins and Dates:
First settlement was built 1840. In 1896, Okanagan Mission was sold to Father Eumelin. Father Eumelin ran the Mission until 1902. Father Pandosy's Mission closed in 1902 and the land was purchased by the Kelowna Land and Orchard Company. 1947 saw the property sold again and it was slated but a group of volunteers rescued the three original buildings on the site. Father Pandosy's original sawn wood church was sold to a local congregation and they moved the church to their site in Rutland where it was later destroyed by fire. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate bought the two acres that held the original buildings in 1954. In 1983, the site was designated as a B.C. Heritage Site. Father Pandosy's Mission is now four acres and other historic buildings have been put on site
Role of the Okanagan Fur Brigade Trail in the development of this category:
Early European Profile: Father Chares Pandosy
Reasons for Settlement:
Accomplishments in Okanagan Valley:
What was the Impact of the Early Europens on the growth and Development of the Okanagan Valley?
Here is Father Pandosy
This was Father Charles Pandosy's house when he settled in the Okanagan Valley. The members of his family still are residents there to this day.
The land Pandosy owned
The Catholic Church wanted a presence in the New Land because the Protestant Church was already well established there in the mid 1850s, particularly around the Oregeon Trail.
The Catholic Church asked France if they had any priests to send over. Pandosy and a small group of oblates from the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI), left Marseilles in 1847 when Pandosy was only twenty-four