Coffee Chat: Café y Conversaciónes
Sponsored by TODOS Market
A good beginning.
Jose Pedro Guallar from HOLA (Hispanic Organization for Leadership and Action), provided the parents with a lots of great information on various community programs.
The agenda also included a presentation by Aida Hernandez on "The Importance of Parent Involvement". A component that we were unable to do was the navigating of the PWCS Website. The intent was to show the parents the website of the county, and help them create a parent portal account. However, the internet was not working properly. In lieu, the counseling team will be putting a folder together of all the things they need to keep up with the culture of the school.
We discussed various topics:
- Code of Behavior
- Medication guidelines
- How to make appointments with the teachers
- Report cards and their distribution dates
- Police among the community; calling the police during critical times
- Online safety; phone apps that the students are using
- Visiting the schools--interacting with the counselors more often
Afterwards the parents wanted to know when we would do another workshop. The evening was finished with a pupusa (Salvadoran cuisine) and friendly conversation.
It was a good start and the parents were very thankful and grateful for having the opportunity to come to the school. I called them my VIPs for participating.