Miss Mitchell's 2nd Grade News
February 1st- 5th
Miss Mitchell Surgery
Miss Mitchell will be out again this week. The surgery was more than anticipated. While I am doing much better, I am still on oxygen and have a tough time being up for long periods of time. I meet with the surgeon and my primary doctor this week and I am hoping for more exercises so that I can get back to school!!!
Mrs. Emmons will be in the classroom while I am gone. I am thankful for her and feel good leaving the students in her hands. PLEASE email Mrs. Emmons if you need anything at school. firstname.lastname@example.org
Events to Remember
Monday Day 4: Music
Tuesday Day 1: P.E.
Wednesday Day 2: Computer Lab
Thursday Day 3: Art
Friday Day 4: No Special
GLOBAL PLAY DAY: Wednesday, February 3rd: Students may bring in games from home- NO ELECTRONICS!! Mrs. Emmons sent home a paper with more information. Whatever she says, goes!
Friday, February 5th is a 1/2 day. Students are released at 12:01 PM
Monday, February 1 Taco Scoops
Tuesday, February 2 Scrambles Eggs with French Toast
Wednesday, February 3 Pizza Calzone
Thursday, February 4 Breaded Chicken Sandwich
Friday, February 5 No lunch served - Half Day for Students
Monday, February 8 Beef Soft Taco
Tuesday, February 9 Pancakes or Waffles with Sausage Patty
Wednesday, February 10 Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Thursday, February 11 Chicken Nuggets with Soft Pretzel
Friday, February 12 Cheese Pizza
*Always an option
Day 1: P.E.
Day 2: Computer Lab
Day 3: Art
Day 4: Music
****Wednesday's are Library Checkout days!
Feel free to follow us! If you cannot get onto the Facebook page, e-mail me your Facebook name and I will add you as a friend and then add you to the group. The Facebook group is a way for me to share fun things and for you all to make family connections!
Try clicking on the twitter and Facebook links below (where my contact information is).
9-9:30 Learning Clubs
9:30-10:45 Math Workshop
11:15-12:25 Reader's Workshop (Word work)
*1:00-1:20 Wednesdays Library
1:00-2:00 Reader's Workshop
1:50 Snack (Please send in a healthy snack for your child)
2:25-3:00 Writer's Workshop
3:00-3:30 Science/Social Studies
Thinking Through a Chapter book: Powering up our Reading and Thinking
Our mentor text is: Gregor the Overlander, Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane
By the end of the unit Readers will be able to:
- Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of main idea and key details in a text.
- Describe how characters respond to major events and how characters affect the plot.
- Make predictions about content of text using prior knowledge of text features and explain if they were confirmed or contradicted.
- Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and how the ending concludes the story.
- Participate in collaborative conversations on grade level topic and texts with peers and adults.
Word work (Spelling)-
January 11th- 22nd: who, where, when, what, why, how, *CHALLENGE WORD- independent
January 25th- February 5th: kicked, played, wanted, laughed, there, their, they're
Weekly reading homework:
20 minutes of reading each night plus a reading and math page! Due January 25th and then February 1st.
By the end of the unit Writers will be able to:
Write a review of a book or topic
Learn what an opinion is and develop their opinion
Learn the importance of not only giving an opinion, but also describing the work being analyzed to give good information
Use the conventions of good writing to make their opinion known and understood
Understand that they must back up their opinions with supporting evidence.
Share their opinions
"Adding it Up and Breaking it Down!"
By the end of the unit Mathematicians will be able to:
Understand the connection between addition and subtraction
Demonstrate the same strategies using both addition and subtraction
Demonstrate how to add and subtract 3-4 digit numbers
Identify when it is necessary to regroup
Write repeated addition number sentences
Identify a total group of objects using repeated addition
Draw/build arrays to show repeated addition
Use repeated addition to solve problems
Solve real world problems involving addition and subtraction of multi-digit whole numbers
Find perimeters given the side lengths or by finding unknown sides
- I will send out newsletters on Sunday evening
- I always check my email in the morning, during the day, and in the evening
- If you leave a message for me, I will return it during my prep time (12:30- 12:55) or after 4 PM
- Please send all transportation changes in writing if you can or to the office before 2:00
- If you do not get a reply e-mail from me about transportation, please call the school. I do not always get the chance to read emails right away or I could be absent