Smoke Signals: Staff Edition
February 25-March 1
Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!
- 4th grade
- 2nd grade
- 1st grade
- McDowra/Moses Team
All of these teams finished within minutes of each other yesterday! They have all earned a week of jeans - March 4-8 - AND sonic drinks for the team one day that week.
It is time to sign up for a Campus Needs Assessment Committee!
Keep in mind:
- Professional staff is required to participate in one committee.
- Paraprofessional staff is welcome to take part, but not required.
- Please have at least one team member represented in each committee.
To sign up, follow this link:
Instructional Playlist: 3-2-1 Test Review
Source: Lead4Ward 2018-19 learning from mistakes strategy playlist
Purpose - Learning from mistakes: Create student ownership in learning from graded assessments and help teachers prioritize which items to review.
How does it work?
1. Have students code each test question with a plus +, check ✅, or minus - . This can be done while they are taking the test.
2. Students analyze a graded test to evaluate where they were strong and where they still need work.
- 3 - Select 3 difficult questions you got correct; justify why you got them correct to a friend.
- 2 - Select 2 questions you thought you got correct, but you missed. Correct your mistake with a friend.
- 1 - Select 1 difficult question you missed that you want the teacher to go over in class.
3. Have students vote on the one strategy that was the most difficult to go over in class with the teacher.
4. The teacher sees and hears the students thinking and clarifies/verifies as appropriate.
5. Students summarize what they learned and note how to avoid mistakes in the future.
Like this strategy? Use it in your class this week. Take a picture and send to Burkhalter for a free jeans or treat pass!
- Technology audit, Burkhalter & Griffith, 1:30
- Sign up for Campus Needs Assessment Teams
- Parent Preview Night, Mrs. Taylor, Library 6:30
- Benchmark Testing - 4th writing, 5th math
- Telpas monitored online calibration
- Benchmark Testing - 5th reading
- Police Breakfast Winner
- Baby shower for Mrs. Hernandez
- Benchmark makeup day
- How do we move our kids to the next level? High yield strategies that work!, Stacee Johnson, conference room during your conference period.
- Vital info for principals training - Burkhalter out 12:30-4
- DAT meeting
Order a yearbook today!
The 2018-19 Shackelford Yearbook is on sale! The book is only $20. Order today so that you have a guaranteed copy! We will not have extras for sale in May.
Order online at ybpay.lifetouch.com using Shackelford's code: 12976619.
Don't miss out on the memories! Order your copy today!
2 - Weekend hours
4 - Teacher of the Month
5 - Brave Rally - Bingo
6 - 5th grade Career Day at Lumpkins Stadium
7 - First Grade program
8 - Parent Conference day - student holiday
11-15 - Spring Break
18 - Professional Development day, student holiday
19 - Grading Period 4 begins
22 - Report Cards go home
22 - Potential retention letters go home
25-29 - Benchmark Week - 3 & 4 Reading & Math, 5 Science
28 - 2nd grade program
1 - STAAR Alt 2 window opens
1 - Birthday Celebration
1 - Teacher of the Month
2 - 1st grade COGAT testing window
5- STAAR Rally - 4th & 5th grades
9 - STAAR 4th writing, 5th math
10 - STAAR 5th reading
11 - I love my school day!
13 - Weekend hours
16 - CAT Meeting
17 - Staff meeting
18 - Ambassadors Field Trip
19 - Good Friday, staff/student holiday
22 - Earth Day
25 - 3rd grade field trip to Ft. Worth Museum
29 - 5/24 - EOY Testing window
1 - GLL Meeting
3 - School Lunch Hero day, honor our cafeteria staff
3 - Volunteer Breakfast or Lunch
6 - Teacher of the Month
6 - 10 - Teacher Appreciation Week
8 - PIE Luncheon
10 - Muffins with Mom
10 - STAAR Rally Grades 3/4/5
13-17 - STAAR Testing - 3 & 4 Reading & math, 5th science, 5th M & R retest
15 - Breakfast with a police officer
20 - College & Career Day
20 - Seniors Serve Day (tentative)
20-24 - Spring Book Fair
21 - Grade Placement committee meetings
21 - 5th grade Talent Show 8:00-10:00
21 - 4th Grade AG day, Expo Center
22 - Grade Placement Committee Meetings
23 - K, 1, 2 Awards Programs
24 - 3rd & 4th grade Awards program
24 - Donuts with Dad
25 - Weekend Hours
27 - Memorial Day Holiday, student/staff holiday
28 - End of year Party
29 - Students last day, Elephant Walk (5Th), 5th Awards, Early Release
30 - Staff Work Day
31 - Staff Celebrations & last day for paraprofessionals
1 - weekend hours
3 - Teacher work Day
4 - Teacher Flex Day #2
5 - Teacher Flex Day #3
10 - Start summer work schedule - 7:30-3:30 M-Th
17 - Last day for Bigler & Redd
20 - Last day for Griffith & Taylor
25-26 - 3rd round of STAAR, 5th grade
Gifted & Talented student referral window is open!
Waxahachie ISD Advanced Academics would like to remind all staff and families that the gifted and talented referral window is open through March 1. We encourage you to refer any student that you believe may have a need for gifted and talented services. Referrals are submitted online at link listed below.
The referral form is available from October 1 through March 1. A student may be referred by any staff member, parent, community member, or even the student themselves! We encourage anyone that questions whether a student may need services to refer them during this window.
Kindergarten, 2nd – 4th grade, and 6th – 12th grade students may be referred. The district automatically screens all 1st and 5th grade students, so they do not need to be referred.
Please go to the following links for more information:
· Informational Slide Show – bit.ly/GTInfo18-19
· Referral Form – bit.ly/GTReferralForm18-19
If you have any questions, please contact an Advanced Academics team member.
Jill Chapman at email@example.com (WISD Coordinator of Advanced Academics)
Joy Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org (GT Specialist at Clift, Felty, Marvin)
Sarah Pickard at email@example.com (GT Specialist at Dunaway, Wedgeworth, Wilemon)
Linda Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org (GT Specialist at Northside, Shackelford)
Claudette Ratliff at email@example.com (GT Specialist at all junior highs)