Athens High School
Newsletter for Parents, Students, Teachers & the Community
May 3, 2019
Athens High School was ranked in the top 30 high schools in state of Alabama as calculated by U.S. News & World Report. It’s a great day to be a Golden Eagle!
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
- William Butler Yeats
Whose Fire Will You Light Today?
Student Re-enollment 2019-2020
We are excited to welcome your family back with us for another great year! Student re-enrollment is now open for the 2019-2020 school year. All students are expected to complete re-enollment by May 10, 2019.
Our school system uses an online enrollment service called SchoolMint. SchoolMint saves your family information from your current registration and automatically populates many of the required forms, making annual re-enrollment a simple and efficient experience. From your smartphone, use the free SchoolMint app for best results. From your computer, follow this link to re-enroll:https://athenscity.schoolmint.net/signin No codes are necessary for re-enrollment. Help and computers are available Monday-Friday from 8:00 am - 3:00 pm at the Board of Education Central Office. For more information, visit acs-k12.org/enrollment or call 256.233.6600.
Mark Your Calendar:
- The Student Council Association will have its last meeting on Monday, May 6th, in the cafeteria at 9:35 a.m. New officers will be inducted. All current SCA members should attend.
- Senior members of Rho Kappa should see Ms. Hicks after Tuesday, May 7, to get honor cords. Please do not come during class.
- Juniors that turned in an application for Health Science Internship for next year need to sign up for an interview time in Mrs. Greenhaw's room by Friday, May 10th. Interviews will be May 21st after school.
- Seniors may purchase Honor Cords from Mrs. Johnson in Guidance Department. Cost is $15.00. Last day to purchase is Wednesday, May 8.
- SCA officer paperwork is due to Mrs. Taylor and Mrs. Clem by Thursday, May 9.
- Any senior member of the Quill and Scroll International Honor Society needs to turn in money for graduation cords by today, May 3, to Ms. L. Carter. The cost is $10.
- Seniors in FCCLA: Cord money is due today, May 3rd, by the end of lunch. If you have questions please see Mrs. Terah Jones or Mrs. Delaney Dunaway.
- On today, May 3rd, TOC will host our school physicals for students. The physicals will be done at the Limestone Event Center. Students will be bused after lunch for physicals. Students need to bring the physical form with the front page filled out and signed by parents and students to attend. The cost is $10. Checks should be made out to AHS and make sure check has a phone number. See your coach for forms.
- Join the ACS Visual Arts Department for their annual art exhibition at Athens-Limestone Public library from May 7-21. Opening reception will be held on Tuesday, May 7, at 6:30 p.m. in the Community Room of the library.
- First Priority will meet in Mrs. Pettus’s room at 7:35 a.m. on Friday. Please enter through the front doors to attend. Everyone is welcome!
- Students taking honors, AP, or dual enrollment English courses next year are required to complete a summer/independent reading assignment, and there is even a bonus point opportunity for the grades 10-12 assignment. Students can find more information on the school website or from any English teacher. Some of the novels are even available for students to borrow for the summer. See an English teacher with questions.
AHS Student Chosen For AHSAA Elite 100 Showcase
Please read carefully through the FINAL Senior Newsletter for important information and things you need to take care of in the coming weeks. Remind your seniors to check their emails for a direct link as well.
Clubs & Activities
FBLA Helps LCFAPA
North Regional Softball Tournament
The AHS Softball Team will participate in the North Regional Softball Tournament at Florence Sports Plex in Florence on Thursday, May 9. The students will be excused on May 9 to attend the game provided that the student returns appropriate form on Friday, May 10, with his/her ticket stub attached in the upper right corner. Student name should be printed legibly in ink on the back of the ticket stub. Form will be available on Monday May 6th on school website.
Softball Tryouts 2020
- Tuesday, 5/28 4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. White Shirts (no tank tops)
- Wednesday 5/29 4:00 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. Black Shirts (no tank tops)
- Thursday, 5/30 4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. White Shirts (no tank tops)
Volleyball Tryouts 2019
AHS and AMS Volleyball Tryouts 2019 season. Please sign up with Coach Travis Barnes at AMS and Coach Amy Barnes at AHS. Must have an up to date physical to tryout.
JH Tryouts @ AMS 3:30-5:30 on
May 13-Wear a Black Tee
May 14-Wear a White Tee
May 15-Wear Gray
May 16-Wear Black
May 17-Wear White
Varsity Tryouts @ AHS 3:45-5:45 on
May 15-Wear a Black Tee
May 16-Wear a White Tee
May 21-Wear Black
May 22-Wear White
May 23-Wear Gray
STUDENT SUPPORTS & INFORMATION
Buy a brick that will be placed on the campus of the new AHS currently under construction. Purchase your brick through the Athens City Schools Foundation at 256.233.6600 to learn more. Brick sales are still open!
Get The Free APP
Never miss a weather alert, school closing or important update. Download the ACS mobile app to stay connected at all times. Use the app to can check calendars, lunch menus, and receive "push" notifications about school events and weather emergencies. Download the free app today at the App Store for iPhones or Google Play for Android devices. Search "Athens City School System."
Be sure to allow alerts, pushes and banners in your phone settings under "notifications" to properly receive notifications. In the app settings, please select the schools from which you wish to receive updates. Contact our office with any questions. 256.233.6600.