Pirate Cove Connection
PES Media Center News - April 2017
AR Goal Deadline for the 4th Quarter is May 5
National Library Week April 9-15 2017
Celebrations during National Library Week include:
- Monday, April 10: State of America's Libraries Report released, including Top Ten Frequently Challenged Books of 2016.
- Tuesday, April 11: National Library Workers Day, a day for library staff, users, administrators and Friends groups to recognize the valuable contributions made by all library workers.
- Wednesday, April 12: National Bookmobile Day, a day to recognize the contributions of our nation's bookmobiles and the dedicated professionals who make quality bookmobile outreach possible in their communities.
- Thursday, April 13, has just been designated Take Action for Libraries Day. Read the press release.
Mark Your Calendars for the Happy Camper Book Fair
- Thursday, May 4 - Camp-out at the Book Fair (Family Night) 5:30-7:30PM
- Tuesday, May 9 - Donuts for Dads 7:30-8:30AM
- Thursday, May 11 - Muffins for Moms 7:30-8:30AM
Last Day for Check-Out May 5, 2017
Meet Our SSYRA Battle Team
Alternate: Emma M.
May 5 - SSYRA Deadline for Awards. Read 5 books to join the Ice Cream Sundae Party
May 10 - Battle of the Books South at Gamble Rogers Middle 10:00AM
All Books Due to the Media Center May 12, 2017
MackinVia Ebooks for Earth Day
A Planet Called Home
by Lisa S. French
What Can We Do About Trash and Recycing?
By Lorijo Metz
By Christine Peterson
What will we be learning in media this month?
- Digital Citizenship - Digital Passport and Net Smartz Kids
- Scholastic Book Fair Preview and Website
- Pictures - Do they appeal to you and do they make the story better?
- Plot/Theme/Subject - Does the topic of the story make you think or teach a lesson? Do you and other children like the topic of the story?
- Characters - Can you relate to the characters? Are the characters funny or appealing in some way?
- Author/Illustrator - What is the Author's Purpose: to Persuade, Inform or Entertain? Do you like other books by that author?
- Luna and Me: The True Story of a Girl Who Lived in a Tree to Save a Forest by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw
- Nerdy Birdy by Aaron Reynolds - its okay to be yourself and have friends who are different than you are
- Stay! A Top Dog Story by Alex Latimer - what happens to an otherwise naughty dog when the family goes on vacation and leaves the dog with Grandpa?
- Mackin VIA e-books with access to 1700 e-books that make-up the PES collection
- Digital Citizenship with Net Smartz Kids and Digital Passport
Dates to Remember
May 3 – Start of the Book Fair
May 4 – Camp Out at the Book Fair Night
May 5 – Last Day for check-out, Last Day for AR Goals, SSYRA (5) and SSYRA Jr. (10) deadline for party
May 10 – Battle of the Books
May 12 – All books due, Last day of the Book Fair
Our Numbers for March 2017
Number of Books Checked Out - 4,628
Number of E-books Viewed - 1,710
Number of Classes - 84
Number of Magazines Checked-out - 150
Most Check-outs by a Student - Harper K. 20 books
Class with the Most Check-outs - Mrs. Kusiak 's Class 136
Most Check-outs by a Teacher - Mrs. Eberhardt 14
WPES News Crew
SSYRA Voting - AND THE WINNERS ARE...
Palencia students voted for All Four Stars. The second choice was Circus Mirandus and third place was The Terrible Two.
SSYRA Jr. 1-2
Palencia Student's voted for Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny. The second choice was The Yeti Files: Meet the Big Feet and third place was a 4 way tie between Amy Namey an Ace Reporter, The Chicken Squad, Sparky and Toys Meet Snow.
For more information and a list of books, visit the PES Media Center website.
App of the Month - Scholastic Book Fair App
The FREE Book Fairs app enables users to scan a book cover or barcodes to find the age, grade, or reading level for a book. This valuable information assists parents in finding the right-fit book for their child. In addition, the app arms volunteers and teachers with detailed information to assist shoppers in finding age-appropriate books.
•Book details including, price, summary, videos, podcasts, and awards
•Reading levels for Accelerated Reader™
•Recommended or similar titles
•Create wish lists and share them! Simply print your wishlist or send it to friends and family through email.
•Make book purchases through the Online Book Fair
For more information, visit www.scholastic.com/apps/bookfairs
Birthday Book Club
The Palencia Elementary School Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth.
To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardback book. This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves. For more information, contact the media center.