Irons Jr. High Newsletter
We Are Hawks!
Dec. 3, 2021
I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving break. It has been great to see everyone back on campus. We are currently seeing a 92 percent attendance rate on Mondays and Fridays, while we are closer to 97 percent in the middle of the week. Attendance is a leading factor in success in school, so I encourage you to have your student attend school every day.
Next week, 8th Grade students will be receiving their PSAT 8/9 test booklet and online code to access their electronic scores. Parents will need to create a CollegeBoard account using the access code to view your child's online scores.
The CollegeBoard account you create will be used throughout high school to schedule future College Board exams (PSAT, SAT, AP) as well as receive your current scores. Oak Ridge High School recommends students make a "professional" email address for all things CollegeBoard and college-related (not CISD email account). If you elect to use a parent email address, this email will be used for all College Board-related courses, including AP exams, SAT exams, etc. Please keep the login information handy for future use.
Parents you should have received an email letting you know that progress report grades are ready to view in Parent Access. The end of the semester is right around the corner so please remind your child to stay on top of class work.
Conroe ISD is seeking public input on the 2022-2023 school calendar. The CISD District-Level Planning and Decision-Making Committee (DLPDMC) is responsible for developing the 2022-2023 school calendar and has developed three drafts for the community to review. Feedback may be submitted from Friday, November 19, 2021, through 8:00 a.m. on Monday, January 3, 2022 via the survey link below. The DLPDMC will then review all feedback and make a recommendation to the Board of Trustees at their Regular Board Meeting on Tuesday, January 18, 2022.
You can find more information detailing the School Calendar Process at https://www.conroeisd.net/about/school-calendar-process/
Irons Jr. High Principal
We Are Hawks!
The 7th grade A team beat Lynn Lucas 47-27. The high scorers were Caden Jacobs and Brycen McCafferty with 10 points and Deondre Yancey with 8. Adonis Ingram and Shaylan Patel played great defense. Good Job, Hawks.
The 7th Grade B team beat Lynn Lucas 40-11. The high scorers were Jonell Rodriguez with 17 and Jermiah Matthews with 11. Eddie Ashton and Trip Allee played great defense. Great Game, Hawks.
The 8th Grade A team beat Lynn Lucas 50-43. The A-team did a great job coming from behind, as we were down by 14 points at halftime. Irons came together and fought hard in the 2nd half in a tremendous defensive effort led by Justin Richardson. Justin locked down on Lynn Lucas' best player holding him to 0 points in the 2nd half after he had 21 in the first. We were led by Jaden Turner and Dereck Hernandez Gonzalez with 13 points and Drayton Urbay with 11 points for a tremendous offensive performance. Great Job, Hawks.
The 8th Grade B team team lost to Lynn Lucas 35-26. It was a tough night offensively for the team. We had many opportunities to score, but the shots were not going in. Jacob Howard led with 8 points and Luke Saul with 5. The team never quit and fought hard to the end.
Instruction Begins at 8:50 AM
Please remember that instruction begins at 8:50 AM. I know that traffic can be heavy on 45 and 242, so please help your child by leaving a few minutes earlier to plan for the increase in traffic. Your child needs to arrive on campus in plenty of time to get some breakfast, walk to their class, talk to their teacher, and then prepare to start a day of learning.
Students must be in their class prepared for instruction when the bell rings at 8:50 AM.
If students wish to attend the game, they must meet the following criteria:
- Students must be passing all classes
- No more than four tardies this nine weeks
- No discipline referrals for this nine weeks
Students will be required to pick up a wristband at lunch on Thursday, the week of the game. The wristband will allow the students to purchase a ticket at the door for one dollar.
All students must be picked up from the game by 7:15.
Irons Dress Code
Parents, we have observed an uptick of students out of dress code the past few weeks. Please ensure that your child meets the Irons Dress Code before departing for school.
- Clothing must cover areas and undergarments from one armpit across to the other armpit, down to approximately the middle of the thigh. Tops must have at least 1 1/2" straps. Cleavage should not be visible. Rips or tears in clothing should be lower than the middle of the thigh.
- Tops exposing midriffs, back area or cleavage is prohibited.
- Boxer shorts, pajamas or blankets are not allowed.
- Skirts and dresses must mid-thigh length.
- Shoes must be worn at all times and should be safe for the school environment (house shoes or slippers shall not be worn).
- See-through or mesh garments must not be worn without appropriate coverage underneath that meet the minimum requirements of the dress code.
- Headgear including hats, hoodies, bandanas, head scarves, skull caps, do-rags, beanies, hair bonnets, and caps are not allowed unless permitted for religious, medical, or other reasons approved by school administration.
- Clothing may not depict, imply, advertise, or advocate illegal, violent, or lewd conduct, weapons, or the use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana or other controlled substances.
- Clothing may not display or imply vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene language or images.
- Sunglasses may not be worn inside the building.
- Clothing and accessories that endanger student or staff safety may not be worn.
- If the parents are unable to bring a change of clothes for the student, we may:
- Ask the student to change into their PE shorts/shirt.
- Ask them if they have a change of clothes in their backpack/locker.
- Provide them with a clean loaner set of PE clothes.
12/7 Band Performance
12/8 Choir Performance
12/13-17 Semester Exams
12/17 Early Release at 1:10
12/17-1/4 Winter Break
1/7 Report Card
1/17 MLK Holiday
1/27 Progress Report (PAC)
2/17 Progress Report(PAC)
2/18 School Holiday
2/21 Presidents' Day Holiday
3/11 Teacher Professional Learning/Student Holiday
3/14-18 Spring Break
3/25 Report Card
4/14 Progress Report(PAC)
4/15-18 School Holiday
5/5 Progress Report(PAC)
Semester Exams 5/20-26
5/26 Last Day of School Early Release at 1:10
6/1 Report Card
Please print, complete form and return to Irons Jr. High in the summer or at schedule pick up day.