August 18, 2017
Important Solar Eclipse Information
We are looking forward to viewing the Solar Eclipse with students on Monday, August 21. Below are some important reminders about this event. We appreciate your help to ensure your child and all our staff have a safe and fun viewing experience. Remember, parents are invited to join us however, they must provide their own glasses.
1. Please speak to your child over the weekend about 1) the importance of following the direction of their teacher and 2) keeping the eclipse glasses on to protect their eyes while viewing the solar eclipse.
2. Please send in with your child on Monday a towel/small blanket to sit on.
3. Don’t forget Monday is also Pajama Day. We are requesting a $2 donation for your child to wear pajamas. This will help off-set the cost of the viewing glasses. Each student will receive a pair of glasses regardless of their participation in Pajama Day.
4. Students checked out from school after 11:30 will be counted present for the school day and will be given their eclipse glasses to take home with them.
5. Students will be outside viewing the eclipse from 2:00 – 2:45. Each grade level has an assigned location. Parents that wish to join us should sign in at the main entrance, and report directly to the playground.
6. Students who do not have a signed permission slip will be escorted to the cafeteria to view the eclipse online.
7. Students who do not follow the directions of teachers and/or do not use their glasses appropriately will be escorted inside to view the eclipse online in the cafeteria.
8. If you plan to check-out your child early from school, please do so before 1:15 p.m. There will be no check-outs between 1:30-2:45 p.m. Students may be checked out in the classroom with their teacher following the eclipse.
9. Students will dismiss from school at 3:45 p.m. The car rider lane will be open from 3:45-4:10.
Thank you for carefully reviewing this important information. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your child’s teacher or a school administrator at 770-338-4770.
Curriculum Night is Coming
Join us next week to get a glimpse at " a day in the life" of your student at Dyer Elementary.
Wednesday 8/23 @ 6:45- Grades K, 1 & 2
Thursday 8/24 @ 6:45- Grades 3, 4 & 5
AC Curriculum Parent meeting (grades 3-5) Thursday at 6:15 in the Media Center.
Want to get involved in Dyer's PTO? Stop by the Media Center before you head home!
.....Here comes Kindergarten Color Weeks!!!!.....
All students and staff -- help the Kindergartners celebrate learning to spell their color words August 21-31. Wear the color of the day and show your school spirit by supporting the little learners!
Hello! My name is Dawn Garner, and I am the School Counselor at Dyer Elementary School. My goal is to provide services and support that will allow each child to achieve success. A more detailed description of the Dyer Elementary School Counseling Program is available on my e-class page which all students will be able to access. The counseling program consists of three major components:
Classroom Guidance: Guidance lessons are held approximately nine times per year in all classrooms. Topics for these lessons are based on the Gwinnett County Public Schools Guidance and Counseling Standards and Competencies and include topics such as study skills, conflict resolution, anger management, impulse control, empathy and test-taking skills.
Small Group Counseling: Groups meet weekly to solve or cope with concerns that may affect school performance. Group participation is voluntary and parents will be notified.
Individual Counseling: Individual students meet briefly with the Counselor if needed to discuss coping with concerns that affect their daily life. Teachers, administrators or parents may make referrals. Students may also refer themselves. If needed, I can provide parents with a list of resources for counseling outside of the school.
I strive to work closely with parents and staff on any issues affecting students. One such issue is attendance. Please remember to send a note when your children are absent that explains the reason for the absence. Please attempt to get your children to school on time so they can have a great start to their day. It is best to avoid early check-outs when possible and provide a doctor’s note after appointments. If you have any questions about absences and tardies, feel free to contact me.
I am very excited that this year I will have Jenna Carroll, a counseling intern from Georgia State University, shadowing me. She will take on more and more responsibilities as the year progresses, including the above-mentioned tasks. She will be at Dyer three days per week. Please email me if you have any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org. Have a great school year!
Birthday Wishes in Big Lights!
New Spirit Wear is Coming!
Mark your calendars for these upcoming events!
8/21- Solar Eclipse Viewing Event
8/23- Curriculum Night for grades K-2
8/24- Advanced Content Parent Meeting (6:15-6:45)
8/24- Curriculum Night for grades 3-5
8/28- Drama Club Auditions
8/29- Girl Scout Parent Information Night
8/30- Drama Club Auditions
8/31 Cub Scout Registration