News and Resources for Administrators and Educators in the EUP ISD, COP ESD, AMA ESD, & COOR ISD
It's a MiPHY Year!
The Michigan Profiles for Healthy Youth survey is open for students in grades 7, 9, & 11. The MiPHY is an online student health survey offered by MDE & MDHHS to support local and regional needs assessment. The MiPHY provides student results on health risk behaviors including substance use, violence, physical activity, nutrition, sexual behavior, and emotional health. The survey also measures risk and protective factors most predictive of alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use and violence. MiPHY results, along with other school-reported data, will help schools make data-driven decisions to improve prevention and health promotion programming.
Resources for administrators, educators, and MiPHY facilitators:
Virtual Health Series
The Michigan School Health Coordinator's Association (MiSHCA) is excited to offer FREE virtual professional learning opportunities to educators and administrators throughout the state. The series will focus on using data as a tool to inform, engage and create opportunities for students. Registration forms are available for the series:
- School Health Profiles (January 19, 4-5 p.m.): School health profiles is a system of surveys assessing school health policies and practices.
- HSAT: Healthy School Action Tools (February 24, 4-5 p.m.): The Healthy School Action Tools are a suite of online tools designed to help schools assess the health of their school environments and take action to improve those environments.
- MICIP: Michigan Integrated Continuous Improvement Process (Spring 2022 - registration coming soon): The MICIP is a pathway for districts to improve student outcomes by assessing the whole child needs to develop plans and coordinate funding.
NEW: Training opportunity: MiHEARTSafe School Virtual Workshop
UPDATED: Upcoming trainings:
This year, professional learning for teachers is available in the following areas:
- Michigan Model for Health
- Sex-Ed/HIV Prevention
- EUP ISD - Regional Health/PE Educators Curriculum Resource Team
- COP ESD - Regional Health/PE Educators Curriculum Resource Team
The PD Calendar is available HERE. Links to register for sessions will be added when they go live - Events for November-December are available now for registration. Please note: Several events have been updated or rescheduled on the calendar.
Michigan Model Updates:
- Michigan Model for Health is now available online! Contact school health coordinator Helen Craig with questions.
- All Michigan Model assessments for grades 5-12 are now available as Google Forms. For access to these assessments, view the following link with information and complete the agreement form.
Resources, Links, & Events
Family Resources: UP-Wide Guiding Good Choices Caregiver Program
The Upper Peninsula Communities that Care coalition is offering their FREE U.P. Wide Virtual Guiding Good Choices Caregiver Program. By participating in the Guiding Good Choices Program parents and caregivers:
- Learn specific actions that promote healthy development
- Understand ways to reduce risk-taking behavior in adolescents
- Utilize skills that promote strong family bonds as the key that motivates preteens/teens to follow family guidelines and stay on course for better health and educational outcomes.
Please contact Kelly Sager at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Flyer: Guiding Good Choices
Workshop Series Dates
Registration links for upcoming courses: https://upctc.com/ggc
Kelsey's Law Scholarship - Distracted Driving Awareness
EEqual Scholarship Awards
Families Against Narcotics of Chippewa County
Families Against Narcotics offers several scholarships each year:
One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an EUP senior student intending to further his/her education at a community college, college, or university in the fall of 2022 studying social work, medicine, education, criminal justice, or first responder training.
A $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to one EUP resident, a college student furthering his/her education at a community college, college, or university in the fall of 2022 who is studying social work, medicine, education, criminal justice, or first responder training.
One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to an EUP resident in recovery who is intending to further his/her education at a community college, college, or university in the fall of 2022.
The deadline to apply is Friday, May 6 at 4 p.m.
Applications for each scholarship are linked above. Please contact the following Families Against Narcotics affiliates for more information:
MiBridges - Medicaid Support
Free or low-cost health coverage for children under the age of 19, or pregnant women of any age is available. Call the MIChild and Healthy Kids hotline: 1-888-988-6300 OR
HIV/STI & Sex Education Legal Obligations and Best Practices
Equity Resource Guide
The Michigan Civil Rights Commission and the Michigan Department of Civil Rights have released an Education Equity Resource Guide. This guide is designed to provide Michigan educators, principals, superintendents with a template for increasing equity in schools and strategies to help dismantle institutional and structural barriers to success for all students. See the Michigan Department of Civil Rights news release for more information, or review the equity and inclusion guide below.
DOCUMENT: Resource Guide to Developing a School Equity Plan: A template to operationalize diversity, equity, and inclusion in Michigan's K-12 Education System
Safe Schools for LGBTQ+ Students
CATCH Global Foundation with the support of the Michigan Health Endowment Fund is offering a limited number of Michigan K-8 schools access to it’s unique training, implementation and support model and evidence-based Whole Child Coordination resources at no cost this school year. You can read more about the CATCH Program in Michigan and enroll schools here: https://catch.org/catch-michigan
Contact: Helen Craig
Helen Craig is the Regional School Health Coordinator for MiSHCA Regions 3 & 5, serving the Eastern Upper Peninsula and Northern Lower MI - Sunrise Side counties. She is also the McKinney-Vento UPCED facilitator and social studies curriculum consultant for the EUP ISD.