Tumbleweed Times Week 31
News from Ranch 25 - April 29, 2016
First Grade Happenings
We continued module 5 this week in math: Identifying, Composing, and Partitioning Shapes. We worked on telling time to the hour and half hour. You can read more about these lessons by going to the following webpage: Math News: Grade 1, Module 5, Topic D. One way to help your child learn to tell time is to hang analog clocks (see an example to the right) around your house. In addition, it is important to cover up all the digital clocks. This provides your child lots of at home, practical practice.
You will notice that our Friday Folders are a bit lighter this week. Because this was a review and assessment week, we did not meet for reading groups. So there are no reading books to practice with this week. This is a good week to catch up on some fun reading and log those titles into the Gold Medal Reading website to earn prizes.
First Grade Musical Performance
Earth Day Celebration
Summer Enrichment Program
Next Week's Curriculum Focus
6.1 Reading Theme: Let's Go Out
Essential Question: What details of the story help you to determine if it is fantasy or reality? (This is a good question to ask when reading at home.)
Comprehension Skill: Fantasy and Reality
High Frequency Words: always, father, four, love, mother
Phonemic Awareness: variant vowel oo
Vocabulary Words: adventurous, anxious, inquisitive, insignificant, route, firm, supposed
Spelling Words and Dictation Sentences:
always, father, four, love, mother, book, look, cook, took, hood, wood, cookie
I love my mother and father.
They like to cook dinner.
Writing Genre: Opinion
Math: Place Value, Comparison, Addition and Subtraction to 100
Social Studies: All About People
Science: Patterns and Motions of Objects in the Sky
- Last Day to Pre-Order Yearbook - Sunday, May 1st
- Screen Free Week - May 2-6
- All School Assembly - Friday, May 6, 8:35 AM
- Family Dinner Night - California Pizza Kitchen - May 10
- MAP's Testing (Language Arts) - Wednesday, May 18, 8:35-9:45
- Pancake Breakfast - Friday May 20, 7:30-8:30 AM
- Last Day of Gold Medal Reading - Friday, May 20
- MAP's Testing (Math) - Tuesday, May 24, 12:50-1:50
- Open House - Thursday, May 26, 5:30-6:30 PM (All family members welcome)
- No School - Memorial Day - Monday, May 30