Volume 6, Issue 3, November 2017
At Homer High School we are always trying to get better. These goals are developed by our staff and reviewed by our Site Council.
This year our school goals are as follows:
- All teachers will develop and use one personalized learning initiative with their students by April 30, 2018.
- HHS will develop a culture of innovation and problem solving by creating and implementing three school-wide challenges or competitions for the entire student body.
- 90% of freshmen will earn 6 credits before the start of their sophomore year.
As part of this process, our staff developed action items that need to be accomplished in order to achieve these goals. Each action item is assigned to a person or group and all action items are reviewed throughout the year to make sure we are on track. Part of this process is to make parents aware of these goals.
These are not the only items that HHS is working on right now, but these are our main focuses as a staff. If you have any additional questions or are interested in this process, feel free to attend our Site Council meeting on November 7th at 4:00 pm in the library. We will be reviewing each action item with the public. I hope you can make it.
As always, I would love to hear from you. If you have ideas or suggestions, please drop by. If you can't make it in you can call me at 907-235-4600 or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dates To Remember
Nov. 2--Parent Meeting for Cross Country Ski 6:00
Nov. 3--Regions Volleyball at Homer--South Central Conference Tournament 10:00 am
Nov. 4--Regions Volleyball at Homer--South Central Conference Tournament 9:00 am
Nov. 4--Colors of Homer Performance at K-Bay Coffee 7:00 pm
Nov. 7--Site Council Meeting 4:00 pm Homer High Library
Nov. 9--Wrestling vs. Grace Christian 6:00 pm
Nov. 16--End of the Road Shootout Hockey Tournament in Homer 5:00 & 7:30 pm
Nov. 17--End of the Road Shootout Hockey Tournament in Homer 5:00 & 7:30 pm
Nov. 17--Girls Basketball Fundraiser 4:00 pm
Nov. 18--Girls Basketball Fundraiser 9:00 am
Nov. 18--End of the Road Shootout Hockey Tournament in Homer 10:00 am
Nov. 30--Wrestling vs Colony 3:00 pm
Nov. 30--Hockey vs Wasilla 7:30 pm
HHS will Host Region Volleyball November 3rd & 4th
Admission is $7.00 for adults and $5.00 for students for a full day of volleyball.
There should be some exciting games games that you will not want to miss. See you there. Region brackets and information on how to stream the games are provided below.
Here is the 2017-18 HHS Bell Schedule
College & Career Fair was a Huge Success!
Of the 50+ colleges represented there, Homer High School students are currently attending 20 of them.
While only juniors and seniors were invited to attend the fair, students who stayed at HHS got to investigate local careers. Fifteen members of the community presented about their professions during FOL. Students got to hear about graphic arts, practicing law, city management and more. All the presentations are listed below:
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife, Mr. Arthur Kettle
- Athletic Director, Mr. Christopher Perk
- Twitter Creek Gardens, Ms. Emily Garrity
- Graphic Arts, Ms. Nina Lisowski
- Practicing Law, Ms. Ginny Espenshade
- Fire Department, Asst. Chief Terry Kadel
- Police Department, Sergeant Ryan Browning
- City Management, Kathy Koester
- News and communications, Ms. Megan Pace, and Mr. Michael Armstrong
- Mermaid Café and Bisto, Mr. Evan Vogyl and his Chef
- Land’s End Resort CEO, Mr. Mike Dyee
- Seafood Tender, Mr. Sean Rhodes and Marine Trade, Josh Weston
- SPHBS, Human Services, Ms. Margarete Wisner
- AVTEC, vocational training, Ms Deb Burdick-Hinton
- SPH—Health Sciences, Ms. Derotha Ferraro
Thank you to everyone who attended and made this event a success. We appreciate your taking you time out of your day to help out students.
The Longest Yard!
The Mariner football team had a great season and earned many awards. They include:
First Team All Conference
Finn Heimbold - Tackle
Teddy Croft - QB
Noah Fisk - Tailback
Levi King - Center
Justin Sumption - WR
Joe Ravin - WR
Joe Ravin - DB
Kyle Wells - DT
Levi King - DT
Noah Fisk - OLB
Kyle Wells - Punter
Dawson Felde - Utility
Jadin Mann - Tackle
Sean Love - Fullback
Cody Johnson - DB
Chris Cudabeck - OLB
Cody Johnson - Kicker
Sean Love - MLB
Jack Heimbold - MLB
Sean Love - Long Snapper
Offensive Player of the Year - Teddy Croft
Lineman of the Year - Levi King
Coach of the Year - Walter Love
HHS Communicates Using Facebook
Sometimes things change at the last moment and we can't call everyone. If you want the most up-to-date event schedules, start times, scores and last minute changes, like us on Facebook. Go to https://www.facebook.com/HomerHS/ and be sure to follow us. This is the most efficient way for HHS to post last minute details, school closures and more. We also post lots of the cool things our students are doing.
See you on Facebook!
National Honor Society Inducts 7 New Members
The HHS National Honor Society inducted seven new members on October 17th. HHS has over 10% of our student body who are currently members of NHS which is remarkable. HHS requires a 3.7 GPA, leadership experience, and community service to become a member of NHS. The NHS is a national society to promote academics, citizenship and leadership and is sponsored by NASSP.
Congratulations to :
- Briea Gregory
- Rhythm Beckett-Cook
- Willem Strydom
- Alex Miller
- Ethan Pitzman
- Ruby Allen
- Daisy Kettle
ACT Test Date
- Dec. 9
- Regular registration deadline Nov. 3
- Late registration for additional fee Nov. 4-17
SAT Test Date
- Dec. 2
- Regular registration deadline Nov. 3
- Late registration for additional fee Nov. 3-21
The FAFSA is open for the 2018-19 school year. Some money is first come, first serve. www.fafsa.ed.gov